cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #121
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
Not so much nicely, as civilly. I've granted lots of appeals where someone was obviously angry, and not entirely nice. But they were fairly civil, and the appeal actually addressed the issue.

When your appeal is "lol, you guys are idiots", why would I bother reading the original deleted message and other context to figure out if the penalty was warranted? You haven't given me any reason to.
Yeah, but my appeals haven't said that...and yet they were still ignored.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #122
RockyBalboa

Quote:
I went back and found 3 appeals from you. Two of them were complaining that you didn't really break the rules, and I responded to both of them explaining why you had been penalized. The other one, the appeal didn't actually appeal anything, so nobody bothered responding.

I can't speak for all of the moderators. From what I've seen, however, most of them try to be fair and consistent, penalizing people on both sides of issues. When MW was penalized (which prompted this thread), several other people were penalized for calling Mike out for being a troll. Most penalties on Cougarboard are for personal attacks. I can't imagine what Cougarboard would look like if we didn't at least attempt to rein in the personal attacks. Do we read every post? No. Some people get hung up on the fact that someone else got away with something, and that means we're biased. All it means is that we don't read everything.
Where exactly did you respond to them? In a thread or via email? Because I NEVER received a single email back in response. Not one. I know that has been the response towards appeals in the past. Has that changed?

Unless there is a new way you're responding to appeals besides sending an email back I didn't see a single response from you regarding my last 2 appeals.

Not one.

I believe my last suspension was referring to notorious crybaby herbnspicescoug as "She".

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-08-2007 at 08:24 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #123
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Water

I just have to pipe in and say that watching MW argue that he is not a troll and unfairly persecuted has been extraordinarily entertaining. One reason is that Mike knows damn well he is the biggest troll there is and since Jefe is over here Mike is taking the opporunity to...well.....troll.

Either MW is completely blind to how he is percieved or he is, in this thread, doing what he always does. It has to be the latter doesn't it?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #124
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I just have to pipe in and say that watching MW argue that he is not a troll and unfairly persecuted has been extraordinarily entertaining. One reason is that Mike knows damn well he is the biggest troll there is and since Jefe is over here Mike is taking the opporunity to...well.....troll.

Either MW is completely blind to how he is percieved or he is, in this thread, doing what he always does. It has to be the latter doesn't it?
Maybe it's a case of Mike having played the part for so long that he actually believes the drivel he posts now?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #125
El Jefe

El Jefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Where exactly did you respond to them? In a thread or via email? Because I NEVER received a single email back in response. Not one. I know that has been the response towards appeals in the past. Has that changed?

Unless there is a new way you're responding to appeals besides sending an email back I didn't see a single response from you regarding my last 2 appeals.

Not one.

I believe my last suspension was referring to notorious crybaby herbnspicescoug as "She".
In the past, we responded to appeals via email. That didn't allow us to see responses to appeals, etc, and made for some duplication of effort. So now, appeals are answered in a thread on the board. When you filed an appeal, you were told the following:

Your appeal has been filed and will be reviewed shortly.

Your appeal will show up as a post on the board (in purple). Only you and the moderators can see the appeal. To see any replies to your appeal, use the "Mine" link at the top of the board to bring your appeal to the top of the list.

To see past responses to your appeals, you can search for "RockyBalboa" as author, and "appealed" as the keyword. That's what I did to look up your appeals.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #126
RockyBalboa

Quote:
In the past, we responded to appeals via email. That didn't allow us to see responses to appeals, etc, and made for some duplication of effort. So now, appeals are answered in a thread on the board. When you filed an appeal, you were told the following:

Your appeal has been filed and will be reviewed shortly.

Your appeal will show up as a post on the board (in purple). Only you and the moderators can see the appeal. To see any replies to your appeal, use the "Mine" link at the top of the board to bring your appeal to the top of the list.

To see past responses to your appeals, you can search for "RockyBalboa" as author, and "appealed" as the keyword. That's what I did to look up your appeals.
Duly noted. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #127
FMCoug

FMCoug

Definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 AM   #128
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Trolling is intentionally trying to stir the pot, incense people, etc. I'm sure you're well aware of what trolling is, being such a master of it.
And now a view from the other side of things.....

At the risk of getting a rather lengthly penal sentence myself and/or ruining the gig I've got going, you've got to admit that the enforcement can seem a bit biased. Take me for example. I find it amazing that I've only been dinged twice - and one of those was self-inflicted. The other, IIRC, had something to do with trying to break 10,000 posts in a month or some such nonsense. Yet I consider myself to be as much of a troll as anybody sometimes, and I intentionally act as such. I can name at least a dozen times when I deserved a ban by objective standards (and fully expected one) but it never came.

Not that I'm complaining, especially, as I apparently have a sweet gig, but I have been told by several people that I can get away with anything. I've likely just destroyed that right here and now, but a few days ago at lunch an unnamed contributer specifically told me that I was a 'golden boy' because I never got caught. Perhaps part of this is because I am very careful about how I word most things, or maybe it's because I'm at least semi-tight with all of the mods, but if the definition of a troll is somebody who tries to stir the pot or disturb people, I should spend more time in solitary than Goatnapper.

I personally don't know whether or not you intend enforcement to be arbitrary and frankly don't care all that much as I'm an egocentric bastard, but you have to admit that it can certainly appear as though there is favoritism going on.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #129
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Every Sunday, I make covenants that I know I'll break during the week. I try to do my best. Now, Cougarboard rules aren't the Sacrament, and I'm not God. I have you agree to the rules so that people can't claim they don't know about them. Every time I change the rules (thankfully it's been a while), I make everyone re-agree to the rules, and I put a summary of the changes up top.
IMHO, very bad analogy. I won't go into why the Gospel, repentence, etc. are not comparable to Cougarboard. I think that is somewhat the problem with some people who are fans or administrators at BYU and some on CB. They don't understand the difference.

That being said, do you really think after the 1 resigning of the rules if I get suspended again I am going to claim I don't know about the rules. The real reason is by signing I am acknowledging the right of someone to enforce their standards on me. I have no problem with going to your site and you or one of your appointees delete my post or suspend me. I am not longer though going to sign the rules again signifying I think their standards are valid.

I have nothing against the mods as people. I have had interchanges with several of them, mainly pleasant. You know I have backed you on things here and on TBS. However, I will be damned if I am going to be continually judged on my morals by someone who goes by the name of Thibious, Pete or El Jefe. For all I know you are an illegal alien.

Last edited by BYU71; 08-09-2007 at 01:58 PM.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #130
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
IMHO, very bad analogy. I won't go into why the Gospel, repentence, etc. are not comparable to Cougarboard. I think that is somewhat the problem with some people who are fans or administrators at BYU and some on CB. They don't understand the difference.

That being said, do you really think after the 1 resigning of the rules if I get suspended again I am going to claim I don't know about the rules. The real reason is by signing I am acknowledging the right of someone to enforce their standards on me. I have no problem with going to your site and you or one of your appointees delete my post or suspend me. I am not longer though going to sign the rules again signifying I think their standards are valid.

I have nothing against the mods as people. I have had interchanges with several of them, mainly pleasant. You know I have backed you on things here and on TBS. However, I will be damned if I am going to be continually judged on my morals by someone who goes by the name of Thibious, Pete or El Jefe. For all I know you are an illegal alien.
One additional thing. If someone deltes my posts or suspends me. Perhaps they could say, "go read the rules again. You have been suspended based on my interpretation of those rules. Remember you agreed to those rules and are allowed to participate on CB based on people appointed to interpret those rules."
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote