cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2008, 12:19 AM   #121
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Ah, well this should be good: please identify where in this thread I defined the term "unusual."
Do you still need more time on this, Cali? I'm trying to be generous given your remedial reading skills.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:24 AM   #122
FMCoug

FMCoug

I don't have time to read the whole thread so maybe this has been brought up, but shouldn't a critical consideration be that if the punishment for rape is the same as for murder, more rapists will become murderers (no witness to testify)?

If the death penalty is on the table, you might as well do everything you can to ensure you don't get caught.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:27 AM   #123
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Ah, well this should be good: please identify where in this thread I defined the term "unusual."
Oh, right- I forgot that this is the part where Tex pretends he hasn't actually made any arguments on the topic and can't understand why people think he has.

It is a tired act, Tex.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 AM   #124
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Oh, right- I forgot that this is the part where Tex pretends he hasn't actually made any arguments on the topic and can't understand why people think he has.

It is a tired act, Tex.
That's what I thought. You can't do it. Cali distorts and can't back it up, what else is new?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #125
Cali Coug

Quote:
That's what I thought. You can't do it. Cali distorts and can't back it up, what else is new?
There is a difference between not being able to do something and realizing the waste of time it would take to do it. You and I both know your arguments, as does everyone else who has read the thread. It won't help you now to pretend anything different.

People know your routine, Tex. Like I said, it is a tired act.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #126
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
There is a difference between not being able to do something and realizing the waste of time it would take to do it. You and I both know your arguments, as does everyone else who has read the thread. It won't help you now to pretend anything different.

People know your routine, Tex. Like I said, it is a tired act.
I can't converse with you. You're simply too dishonest.

Cheers.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 06-30-2008 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #127
Tex

Here's a surprising follow-up on this story. It appears Kennedy got some of the facts wrong in his majority opinion, and the minority dissenters missed it too.

Quote:
Because, as Greenhouse puts it, the factual error went to a "central part of the court’s analysis." It seems that when Justice Kennedy cited just six states that have the death penalty on their books for child rape, he asserted that this penalty did not exist in any federal jurisdiction either. But in 2006 Congress added child rape to the offenses that can earn the death penalty under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. As Dwight Sullivan, the milblawger, puts it, "“We’re not talking about ancient history."

[It] is telling ... that the very recent opinion of the Congress that child rape deserves the death penalty was not only not given any weight. It was not even known to the justices at all.
However, he notes that this doesn't "really" affect the core judgment, because:

Quote:
The citation of what legislatures have and haven't done is just window dressing for the real ground of decision in these Eighth Amendment "evolving standards of decency" cases—namely, the impulses of the justices themselves. As Justice Kennedy put it, "objective evidence of contemporary values . . . does not end our inquiry. . . . We turn, then, to . . . our own understanding of the Constitution and the rights it secures."

It's hard to know which is less reassuring. When the Court consults "objective evidence of contemporary values," it engages in something other than legal reasoning. When it consults its "own understanding of the Constitution," like as not it is shouting down a well. The echoes that come back will substitute for the authentic Constitution.
In other words: "the Constitution means what we want it to mean."

The New York Times apparently had the story on page 1 today.

http://bench.nationalreview.com/post...FlZTQxOTA4ZGI=

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #128
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

tex, if you were on the supreme court what else would merit the death penalty, and how would you decide?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #129
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
tex, if you were on the supreme court what else would merit the death penalty, and how would you decide?
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=102

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #130
Cali Coug

Don't you see, Mike? This thread is for Tex to state how stupid other people are for the decisions they have made. At no point in time does Tex feel it is appropriate to take a position on what the right way of making the decision would be, and if he ever does, at no point should his statement actually be construed as an argument supported by Tex.

Tired act.