cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #131
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUruss View Post
I grew up in Utah, have been active my whole life, got straight A's in seminary and went on a mission. Yet somehow the I didn't know JS was a polygamist until a year into my mission. It was never, ever, ever mentioned in church, seminary, the MTC, whatever. I'm not going to research it, but some quotes are clear from the 12 about "intellectualism" getting in the way of church members.
Ah, I see. So since you grew up in Utah and you didnt know about these things, then that means that the Church, as a global entity, empircally does not want its members to think for itself and is trying to hide that JS was a polygamist?

Awesome!

"Not smarter....less dumb."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #132
BYUruss

BYUruss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Ah, I see. So since you grew up in Utah and you didnt know about these things, then that means that the Church, as a global entity, empircally does not want its members to think for itself and is trying to hide that JS was a polygamist?

Awesome!

No point in arguing with you. If you can't see that the church has things in its past that they would rather members not find out about, then you're an extreme mullah, an idiot, or perhaps both.
"I heartily acknowledge that our church has been run, and will continue to be run, by people who have faults and commit errors."

Last edited by BYUruss; 11-05-2007 at 07:53 PM.
BYUruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #133
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I heartily acknowledge that our church has been run, and will continue to be run, by people who have faults and commit errors. Now that we all agree on that point, why keep bringing it up?

What I have noticed is that the focus here seems to be the faults and errors. For all the negativity, I dont really see much to offset it. Maybe a post about some great thing our Church leaders have done. Something wise BY said. Something inspiring BRM has taught. Those kinds of sentiments are highly uncommon here....at least what I have read.

I take very little seriously on the internet. There is no accountability on an anonymous website, so why would anyone take any of this seriously? I agree that calling someone apostate is ridiculous. I beleive I have made this point before. Once again, I am simply noting that if you choose to identify yourself a certain way, as well as post negatively, dont be surprised if others view you in that very way.

I could be overstating everything here, which is why i am couching everything as an observation, not an empirical fact. I guess, since we cannot have it both ways, you could be understating everything and this place really is hostile and negative towards the Church.

So, what do you think of the BYU Cougars this season? I like their chances.
What offsets it is sacrament meeting, Sunday school, priesthood, stake conference, general conference, devotionals, etc etc etc.

I understand that what you are seeing makes you feel a bit defensive. When it goes far enough I feel that way too. But can you see the value of people being able to discuss their concerns and doubts in a "safe" environment? I don't think most people are comfortable with non-faith-affirming discussions in church and yet these are things people think about.

I don't think it ought to be remarkable that on a website founded to allow discussions that were being censored on CB that there is a fair amount of skepticism floating around. If your right eye offends you, pluck it out.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #134
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
A couple of thoughts. The word "apostate" is way too strong for what you are describing. I don't know, but I would imagine that such a label is very hurtful for someone like SEIQ who has been very open about not believing many of the foundational claims of the church but who has nevertheless made the decision to follow the church's teachings and participate. That can't be an easy thing for him to do and I think he deserves more credit than to be called something that really means something entirely different that what he is. Save that label for people like Seattle and others who are out in the open about their choice to apostatize.
For the record, I did not accuse anyone of being apostate. I was referring to his aversion to being called an apostate by others.

I agree with your other points.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #135
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So, what do you think of the BYU Cougars this season? I like their chances.
I think we have a good chance to run the table. Or maybe one loss. Either way, I am really looking forward to the next four games.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #136
UtahDan

Quote:

Awesome!

I don't think most people grew up knowing about these things. We are very open about the polygamy of BY and others but not JS, though anyone alive at the time eventually knew about it. To what do you ascribe the total and complete lack of reference in our teaching materials to this? You clearly think that what others have suggested is absurd, whats your take?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #137
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No point in arguing with you. If you can't see that the church has things in its past that they would rather members not find out about, then you're an extreme mullah, an idiot, or perhaps both.
I think the church is more interested spending their time and energy focusing on things that will actually make their members' lives better instead of worrying about whether or not you can win a Final Jeopardy question on the age of Joseph Smith's youngest wife.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #138
UtahDan

Quote:
For the record, I did not accuse anyone of being apostate. I was referring to his aversion to being called an apostate by others.

I agree with your other points.
Whether you said it or not, do you see my point?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #139
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Awww, BYURuss deleted a beautiful example of how his kind frequently degenerate into name-calling and revulsion at the sight of those who believe differently from them.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #140
TripletDaddy

Quote:
It isnt that notion that intrigues me.

It is the introductory justification you provide to support your already weak hypothesis.....you grew up in Utah, you receieved straight A's in seminary and went on a mission, but SOMEHOW didnt know everything there was to know about the Church or its history...therefore, you are qualified to claim that the Church does not want its members to think for itself and that it was supressing you from finding out.

Someone who grew up in utah not knowing JS was a polygamist until his 20th year calling someone else an idiot is, well....awesome! Nice.

once again, not smarter. less dumb.