cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #131
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
No you didn't, you got a warning.

I have no intention of going over there and calling someone a "weenie." I don't wish to tempt the mods or jefe.
PLEASE. I got a 1 days supension. How do you think know what I got anyway. I thought that stuff was private.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #132
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
PLEASE. I got a 1 days supension. How do you think know what I got anyway. I thought that stuff was private.
BDB is a mod of sorts, she is the token female mod, kind of like the token black city council member.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #133
BYUruss

BYUruss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Perhaps she made out with one of the mods to get the privilege? I was wondering the same thing.
BYUruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #134
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUruss View Post
Perhaps she made out with one of the mods to get the privilege? I was wondering the same thing.
I think she does polls or something so she has some of the mod privileges. but she has never busted me for anything so i dont think she is a full blown mod.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #135
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think she does polls or something so she has some of the mod privileges. but she has never busted me for anything so i dont think she is a full blown mod.
I don't know about giving women mod privileges.

First mod privileges, then the priesthood. Slippery slope.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #136
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUruss View Post
Outraged? I think that's a bit strong. I have many more things in my life going to take CB THAT seriously. It's fun at times, and I love BYU football, no more, no less. What is a bit of an outrage is I thought that by coming over here I would avoid the CB mullahs. Instead I have one of the biggest "holier than thou" posters ever following my every post over here. Nipping at my heels as it were. Why would one of the Lord's ministering angels chose to hang out with outer darkness people, anyway? Are you trying to do missionary work? What ever it is it's annoying as hell.
I didn't say you were in an outrage. I said I wouldn't be in one.

If you don't want me to "follow your every post" perhaps you should stop composing posts that are in response to mine. Using your logic I could very well accuse you of being "holier than thou" and nipping at my heels.

Why I choose to be here is none of your business.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #137
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I don't know about giving women mod privileges.

First mod privileges, then the priesthood. Slippery slope.
I am not a mod, and do not have mod privileges.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #138
BYU71

Quote:
Dude, I've never been married, never had sex, why would I WANT to teach your kids about it?

I do think it's inappropriate and frankly creepy to talk about "changing oil" with a bunch of strange men online. If that makes me uptight so be it.
Sorry, I have mixed two threads together. I was referencing a thread talking about church leaders teaching kids about sex. I can easily see you as a church leader, that is a compliment, however, I wouldn't want you or others as conservative on the subject as you teaching my kids about sex.

I don't think you should be in the "changing oil" conversation either. Instead of reprimanding us though, you should have just gone somewhere else.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #139
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

At the risk of offending many I consider friends here, and specifically for the benefit of BDB, let me interject with a few opinions that I personally have and surmise many here do as well:

1. Jefe's site has suffered greatly in terms of quality (apart from the utilitarian layout and poor coding). The football discussion over there is absolutely without substance and the other topics are ripe with fundamentalist thought.

2. Jefe has every right to his rules and his enforcement thereof as long as he pays the bills.

3. We have every right to obey the rules as we see fit until such time as said rules are incorporated into Mormon dogma (for some of us) or until the end of time (for the rest of eternity). I feel no moral obligation to obey a set of principles I had no hand in drafting or spiritual confirmation as to their truth in eternal settings. I am cognizant of the penalties that may result from disobediance and, frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. For the record, I have had two one day suspensions in a year, I believe, and one longer one that I requested as part of a gag. I am, for the record, a theological mullah by many standards. BDB specifically should know of my spiritual beliefs to some extent and the reasons thereof, so let no man call me apostate.

4. I know nothing of Jefe's moderation motivations more than I guess. However, the results very clearly appear to be a censoring of certain viewpoints over others, resulting in a board of like-minded sheep, and very stupid sheep at that. I do not guess that Jefe has this intent, but I do not doubt those who draw such a conclusion - it certain fits the bill. At the very least, Jefe has shown himself to be a sloppy moderator on several instances involving me personally and his penchant for searching posts from hours earlier (some of which received warnings, no less) and then doling out suspensions indicates a deification complex. Having met him in real life, albeit briefly, I won't say that this is in fact the case but it would not shock me in the least given other similar people I know.

5. Several quality posters that do not frequent here are on the verge of being chased off. I have been told this directly by said posters. Multiple mods have expressed their personal dissatisfaction with him to me personally.

6. My own personal thought: I do not care for the changing oil discussion in the slightest, but I tolerate it because it is part and parcel of having a community in which we are free to voice our opinions. In truth, I don't agree with half the crap that goes on here, but I enjoy the free exchange and gain benefits from the conversation. I would enjoy this on a larger level and want CB to change. Unfortunately, the trend still appears to be uneven and heavy-handed enforcement of rules that are interpreted subjectively. We are largely throwing ourselves against a brick wall in order to foster change from the Draconian nonsense that goes on over there, to the extent we haven't decided to (or had it decided for us) abandon ship. Call it cyber civil disobedience if you will. I don't, but you are free to.

7. I would tell all of this to Jefe personally if I thought he stood a snowball's chance in hell of actually listening. Actually, I have no doubt that he's read this thread with interest and I actually have just told him. I have contemplated sending an email to him personally with the signatures of the 40 odd posters that I know of that feel the same way. Some of us are more vocal than others.

8. Bottom line: CB now represents everything I hated about BYU (i.e., appearance of mindless homogeneity). I want to change it, because I actually enjoy the place and have many friends there who do not participate over here.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #140
BYU71

Quote:
No you didn't, you got a warning.

I have no intention of going over there and calling someone a "weenie." I don't wish to tempt the mods or jefe.
Trust me, I got suspended. I think it was TK9 that did it too me and we are on very good terms. I did tell him he was full of crap though on it. The secret some of you may not know is I tell all my friends they are full of crap when I think they are.

I think I am a better source on this than whoever you are getting your info. from.

Are you saying essentially you agree. I didn't break any rules in that case.