cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Remember it's Utah fans that care about BYU, not the other way around.
I keep forgetting. Thanks for reminding me that I care.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:22 AM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Or, the most likely scenario: this is nothing but the big 10 PLEADING for Notre Dame to come join the conference. Notre Dame would be foolish to do so-- they have their own superior TV deal and an automatic in to the BCS-- and will keep things the way they are. As will the Big 10.

BYU will go to the Vegas Bowl until they stop bringing as many fans. Then they go to the Poinsettia bowl.

Football is done before Christmas.

I weep.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:57 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Not much in this thread makes sense to me. I do know BYU has no chance of admission to the Pac 10. Maybe the Big 12.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Missouri to the Big 10. They already have a rivalry with Illinois, and while they lose one with Kansas to a degree, Missouri has a pretty large television market and would be a natural fit in the Big 10. They have always been a bit of an oddball for the Big 12.
That's interesting. They're one of the originals...not just to the Big 8; they go all the way back the Big 6. Their rivalry with Kansas is one of the longest-standing in the NCAA.

I'm trying to think though why they'd really want to head to the Big 10. The Big 12 North has been rather, um, weak, making it all that much easier for Mizzou to finish bowl-eligible every year.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:07 AM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
That's interesting. They're one of the originals...not just to the Big 8; they go all the way back the Big 6. Their rivalry with Kansas is one of the longest-standing in the NCAA.

I'm trying to think though why they'd really want to head to the Big 10. The Big 12 North has been rather, um, weak, making it all that much easier for Mizzou to finish bowl-eligible every year.
Getting into the Big 10 gives them a boost academically, just being in the club. The Big 10 has several schools world class academically. Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin have departments that compete with any Ivy or Stanford or U. of Chicago. It's a bit like the Ivy League, but for public schools. And there's Northwestern, which in many respects is like an Ivy School. I think the Mizzou administrators would love it. This is one reason why I think the Pac 10 ought to be attrative to Texas. It is much the same kind of club. The Big East had a similar franchise until it admitted Louisville, DePaul, and some others.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:14 AM   #16
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

I firmly believe that BYU will never go to a conference that will require them to play on Sunday. For that reason (and that reason alone) I would bet on the Utes getting an invite to a "big" conference first.

In my opinion... That would suck...
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:20 AM   #17
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE View Post
I firmly believe that BYU will never go to a conference that will require them to play on Sunday. For that reason (and that reason alone) I would bet on the Utes getting an invite to a "big" conference first.

In my opinion... That would suck...
Of course BYU won't play on a Sunday, but I would think any conference could figure something out to accomodate them. The Big 12 doesn't play much on Sundays anyways. It would be more of an issue with the Pac 10.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:23 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Of course BYU won't play on a Sunday, but I would think any conference could figure something out to accomodate them. The Big 12 doesn't play much on Sundays anyways. It would be more of an issue with the Pac 10.
The Big 12 has no problems playing basketball on a Sunday. Baseball too.

Of course, I sincerely respect BYU's no Sunday play and that would be a shame if that is the sole reason it doesn't get into a bigger name conference.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Were it not for the No Sunday Play rule, then among the Non-BCS Schools BYU is the obvious choice.

They have the best facilities, much larger national fanbase, and name recognition.

It's an obvious no brainer.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 AM   #20
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Or, the most likely scenario: this is nothing but the big 10 PLEADING for Notre Dame to come join the conference. Notre Dame would be foolish to do so-- they have their own superior TV deal and an automatic in to the BCS-- and will keep things the way they are. As will the Big 10.

BYU will go to the Vegas Bowl until they stop bringing as many fans. Then they go to the Poinsettia bowl.

Football is done before Christmas.

I weep.
I don't think this is another attempt to get Notre Dame. The commissioner specifically mentioned he is trying to get a new state. He already has Indiana. That, and I think he and the other Big 10 presidents know that ND simply isn't going to join their conference. ND has zero incentive to do so, and any concessions the Big 10 could make to entire ND to come would not be palatable to the Big 10. It just won't happen.

If the commish is talking about getting a new state, I have to think it is Missouri. That said, what about the states of Kentucky (poach from the SEC?), West Virginia (not likely), Massachusetts (BC-but they won't go either), NJ (Rutgers- possible?)? Missouri just makes the most sense.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote