cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I think what Huckabee is saying and I tend to agree, is that personally attacking Obama is a poor strategy. By personally attacking, I mean going after his wife, his pastor, his religion, etc. While these all may be valid issues of concern, I think there is a better way.

The biggest weakness with that strategy is that it hasn't shown to be effective. This guy beat the Clintons, the masters of the politics of personal destruction. He is impervious to those darts. He will win unless Republicans can find an effective strategy and this isn't it.

I suggest that Republicans come up with a dynamic, exciting strategy of governing. Something that appeals to those who are stretched by gas prices, health care costs, weary of the war and fed up with immigration. Something approaching a solution. An idea. Something.

Republicans are stagnant and Obama's candidacy only highlights how pathetic a party we are. If the choice is but to merely attack him as opposed to proposing forward thinking ideas, you can look forward to a Dem government for the foreseeable future.
Here is one place where Democrats have Republicans over a barrel.

Simplistically speaking, a true Republican doesn't believe Government is the answer to economic or social ills but that other forces should be drawn into the fray. So Republicans are left to naysay instead of leading by virtue of the very principles which they hold dear.

And Democrats believe government can provide answers, and should provide answers.

And ignorant populations wish to believe it's out of their hands and that somebody smart is working on their behalves, not against them.

Thus, unless you have a charismatic person such as Reagan who can articulate this ideology, Republicans stand at an inherent disadvantage, because the tables are set against them.

That is why Republicans have historically resorted to attacking policies. If attack one's credibility, then nobody cares about failing policies.

It's a much more difficult game to articulate difficult management philosophies, economic regulatory and de-regulatory policies, immigration strategies, judicial choices, and foreign policy, than to attack one's character.

So your pointing out that he survived the Clinton's leaves me very despondent, as he will probably win and fuck us royally. Damn him. I hope he has a heart attack.

The cards are not set up for us, those of limited government but the results of his obnoxious policies will be with us like those of the sixties. We still have Medicare hanging over our heads because of Kennedy and Johnson. What fucked up piece of crap bureaucratic onslaught will he saddle us and our children with?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
In my mind, his associations with and relationships with Rev. Wright and William Ayers speak volumes as to the man's character, judgement, and worldview. Policies are very important, but we don't just vote for the policies, we vote for the man. That's important too.
We're not talking about your mind though. You won't vote for Obama. We're talking about the undecided voter. The person with fewer political loyalties who will decide this election. How does McCain win that voter? I don't think it's through attacks, especially knowing Obama's resillience to that strategy.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Reverend Wright association is a dangerous game. It might work in this cycle, but it will always be remembered as more vicious than it really was. Not to mention that it reinforces beliefs in Republican racism. At some point Republicans are going to have to develop a minority base and this doesn't help. It can't forvever be a mostly white people party and still stay viable.

I agree with you about Huck, but I still think he makes a valid point.
If Mitt Romney was in a congregation for 20 years and there were some incindery things said many times over, would there be a discussion or religious bigoty. A discussion of picking on whites. It would all be about judgement and what the guy believes and can he lead.

In Obama's case and I agree with your point, the press will play it up as racist. Is there anything you can legitimately question about Barak or Michelle that people won't pull out the, you are racist card.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
If Mitt Romney was in a congregation for 20 years and there were some incindery things said many times over, would there be a discussion or religious bigoty. A discussion of picking on whites. It would all be about judgement and what the guy believes and can he lead.

In Obama's case and I agree with your point, the press will play it up as racist. Is there anything you can legitimately question about Barak or Michelle that people won't pull out the, you are racist card.
We can complain about it all we want, but them's the breaks. McCain understands these constraints and better figure out a way to work around them. In doing so, Republicans need to be patient and realize that he has to run a softer campaign than would be ordinarily expected.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We're not talking about your mind though. You won't vote for Obama. We're talking about the undecided voter. The person with fewer political loyalties who will decide this election. How does McCain win that voter? I don't think it's through attacks, especially knowing Obama's resillience to that strategy.
Obama has a messiah complex, so he'll want to do something memorable. That scares the crap out me.

Bush wanted something memorable, and gave us Iraq, and the Prescription program from hell.

Kennedy Johnson gave us Medicare and its bullshit system of health care.

FDR gave us the Great Big Deal, large bureaucracies and a host of other inanities. I'm fully aware others love these conveniences. I do not.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Reverend Wright association is a dangerous game. It might work in this cycle, but it will always be remembered as more vicious than it really was. Not to mention that it reinforces beliefs in Republican racism. At some point Republicans are going to have to develop a minority base and this doesn't help. It can't forvever be a mostly white people party and still stay viable.

I agree with you about Huck, but I still think he makes a valid point.
How does Obama's racist anti-American pastor reinforce belief in Republican racism? That makes no sense.

As for the minority base, Republicans have tried for years to woo black voters. There is a psychopathy there that no politician is going to pacify until the black "community" itself comes to terms with it. In the meantime, Republicans are having measured success winning Latinos.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Obama has a messiah complex, so he'll want to do something memorable. That scares the crap out me.
I think you're right. He is campaigning on a platform of dynamic change and he'll have some huge leverage going into office. I have no doubt universal health care will be implemented in the next four years. One of the main reasons is that middle class Americans are simply getting squeezed too tight. Because Republicans have no satisfactory alternative, the public has no choice but to turn to the Dems or continue to pay outrageous HC costs. Obama will have the political capital, the sales pitch, and the accepting public to implement his HC plan. Unless, that is, Republicans can make magic happen.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #18
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think what Huckabee is saying and I tend to agree, is that personally attacking Obama is a poor strategy. By personally attacking, I mean going after his wife, his pastor, his religion, etc. While these all may be valid issues of concern, I think there is a better way.

The biggest weakness with that strategy is that it hasn't shown to be effective. This guy beat the Clintons, the masters of the politics of personal destruction. He is impervious to those darts. He will win unless Republicans can find an effective strategy and this isn't it.

I suggest that Republicans come up with a dynamic, exciting strategy of governing. Something that appeals to those who are stretched by gas prices, health care costs, weary of the war and fed up with immigration. Something approaching a solution. An idea. Something.

Republicans are stagnant and Obama's candidacy only highlights how pathetic a party we are. If the choice is but to merely attack him as opposed to proposing forward thinking ideas, you can look forward to a Dem government for the foreseeable future.
What a killjoy. You take all the fun out of politics.

You just fear the accusatory pointing finger and cry of "blasphemer!"

I have no idea what Huckabee is saying, a guy more than happy to demonize an opponent. As always, sounds like he out for self-promotion.

Politics is a ruff and tumble game. Obama's campaign and the Dems will play dirty, so I don't see why Obama should get a pass. It shouldn't be the focus of the message (let McCain take the high road), but I don't see a problem with a component that points out Obama's poor judgement. Upon what else are we supposed to judge him?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
How does Obama's racist anti-American pastor reinforce belief in Republican racism? That makes no sense.
Public perception doesn't have to make sense.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Public perception doesn't have to make sense.
You are the Walter Lippmann of CG.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote