cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
that's not prohibited, I see Muslims with English Korans all the time. How the hades did you come up with that?
Your Muslim friends don't know their own religion. Their translations are in no way shape or form the Koran.

Quote:
According to modern Islamic theology, the Qur'an is a revelation very specifically in Arabic, and so it should only be recited in the Arabic language. Translations into other languages are necessarily the work of humans and so, according to Muslims, no longer possess the uniquely sacred character of the Arabic original.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur%27an_translations

Anyone who defends that Islam does not respect the freedom of religion is traitor to this country.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When we defend Israel against destruction, do you know who we will be killing? Invading Muslims.
Why the hell would we defend Israel against destruction? Israel has no oil. If it comes to choosing between Israel and Saudi Arabia as a friend, I'd side with Saudi Arabia every time.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Why the hell would we defend Israel against destruction? Israel has no oil. If it comes to choosing between Israel and Saudi Arabia as a friend, I'd side with Saudi Arabia every time.
Don't worry. Chaff doesn't have to worry about the future; its destiny is pretty much locked up.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Your Muslim friends don't know their own religion. Their translations are in no way shape or form the Koran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur%27an_translations

Anyone who defends that Islam does not respect the freedom of religion is traitor to this country.
That's far from being prohibited. All that implies is that you should read it in Arabic if you can.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #15
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Protestants have the same problem. But the Qu'ran/Muhammad's teachings/Muhammad's life is central, just as the Bible is authoritative for the Protestants.
I've read that for Muslims, the Qu'ran is their "Jesus Christ" in the sense that they worship this book similarly to the way an average Christian would worship Jesus.

I also think that you're correct when you suggest that some protestants have a special place in their hearts for "Bible worship," but I don't think this is quite the same as "Qu'ran worship" for Muslims. In any cases, there is reasonable proof that the holy books were not magically received and mystically perfect, so worship of either book as a "perfect, divine record" is silly.

I suppose one could say that we have an element of "Book of Mormon worship" in our own religion that also might seem unreasonable.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I suppose one could say that we have an element of "Book of Mormon worship" in our own religion that also might seem unreasonable.
I disagree. The concept of continuing revelation via the prophets and personal revelation is such a big deal in our Church I don't think our reverence for scripture even comes close to what a lot of Evangelicals have towards the Bible.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I disagree. The concept of continuing revelation via the prophets and personal revelation is such a big deal in our Church I don't think our reverence for scripture even comes close to what a lot of Evangelicals have towards the Bible.
It is so far different, the comparison is ludicrous.

In proper handling of the Qu'ran, the Arabic one, you must be very careful and a menstrating female may not touch it. When I was given mine from my friend, he requested that I observe that formality. Out of respect to him, I have done so.

The comparison loosely applies insofar as we both use our book to bind us together with special nomenclature, to create an insular feel so that you only become an insider through the use of special terms, unique to the book, but we regard books as books. There are to be studied, marked, used and not worshipped. Even the words of the BoM, though revered are recognized as the words of men, not God. God, despite Islamic claims to the contrary, has not personally written any book read by man.

In one respect, Islam follows the Hebrew path of respecting the Hebrew Bible, which orthodox Jews believe must be read only in Hebrew. Mohammed and his followers apparently copied an extant path taken by Jews of Mohammed's time.

There are many parallels between the Muslims and the Jews, even if they are reluctant to recognize them.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #18
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It is so far different, the comparison is ludicrous.

In proper handling of the Qu'ran, the Arabic one, you must be very careful and a menstrating female may not touch it. When I was given mine from my friend, he requested that I observe that formality. Out of respect to him, I have done so.

The comparison loosely applies insofar as we both use our book to bind us together with special nomenclature, to create an insular feel so that you only become an insider through the use of special terms, unique to the book, but we regard books as books. There are to be studied, marked, used and not worshipped. Even the words of the BoM, though revered are recognized as the words of men, not God. God, despite Islamic claims to the contrary, has not personally written any book read by man.

In one respect, Islam follows the Hebrew path of respecting the Hebrew Bible, which orthodox Jews believe must be read only in Hebrew. Mohammed and his followers apparently copied an extant path taken by Jews of Mohammed's time.

There are many parallels between the Muslims and the Jews, even if they are reluctant to recognize them.
When I was in the MTC a speaker told us not to let our scriptures touch the ground.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When I was in the MTC a speaker told us not to let our scriptures touch the ground.
What MTC did you attend, one for Baptists? You went to a strange Church.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #20
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What MTC did you attend, one for Baptists? You went to a strange Church.
During seminary scripture bowl, they got rid of the "speed" challenge because the adults thought the scriptures weren't being treated with respect.