cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I used to believe that apostasy on a large scale in this modern age of transportation, communication and centralized curriculum was impossible. I don't believe that any longer. I see that the internet is the new avenue for sewing the seeds of spiritual discontent, making the church in people's own personal image; one that confirms more conveniently with mainstream religious and political thought.

The tares are in the process of being gathered up.
Let me add another thing.

The church sanctioned strategy of attempting to hide Mormon history (perhaps those words are too strong..."the church sanctioned strategy of strongly encouraging positive portrayals of Mormon history") is a COMPLETE FAILURE in 2009.

I suspect that Ed Decker and the assortment of "anti-Mormons" since him have seriously hampered the growth of the church. I also suspect that the wide proliferation of "negative" information about the church on the internet has hampered church growth. Evidence that GAs believe this is the call from GAs for a rise in apologist-type Mormon bloggers.

We are literally watching the death of Mormon apologia, right before our eyes. What is to emerge in its place? We will see.

But I think this gets to the core of what people like Indy Coug are upset about. They wish for a return to the old ways and the old times, but sorry, Pandora's box has been opened and cannot be shut. And the short-sighted policies that discouraged real history and real scholarship and honesty and truth are now biting us in the ass.

A strong counter-argument can be made that there are voices out there now that are providing answers to this conundrum, and they are not coming from SLC. And those voices are going to be people that actually end up keeping a lot of people *IN* the church.

An LDS church comprised of a few mullahs around a campfire has no future. That much, I am certain.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Let me add another thing.

The church sanctioned strategy of attempting to hide Mormon history (perhaps those words are too strong..."the church sanctioned strategy of strongly encouraging positive portrayals of Mormon history") is a COMPLETE FAILURE in 2009.

I suspect that Ed Decker and the assortment of "anti-Mormons" since him have seriously hampered the growth of the church. I also suspect that the wide proliferation of "negative" information about the church on the internet has hampered church growth. Evidence that GAs believe this is the call from GAs for a rise in apologist-type Mormon bloggers.

We are literally watching the death of Mormon apologia, right before our eyes. What is to emerge in its place? We will see.

But I think this gets to the core of what people like Indy Coug are upset about. They wish for a return to the old ways and the old times, but sorry, Pandora's box has been opened and cannot be shut. And the short-sighted policies that discouraged real history and real scholarship and honesty and truth are now biting us in the ass.

A strong counter-argument can be made that there are voices out there now that are providing answers to this conundrum, and they are not coming from SLC. And those voices are going to be people that actually end up keeping a lot of people *IN* the church.

An LDS church comprised of a few mullahs around a campfire has no future. That much, I am certain.
Or maybe your view is woefully myopic because you live in Amerika and believe you rule the world.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The church goes as the church in America goes.

Where are the great international successes for the church?

Europe? Latin America? Africa? Asia? (I'm soon going to be running out of continents here).

Polynesia?

This is an American church with international members that are administered by Americans. Period.

Pull out all American missionaries and Mission Presidents and the collapse would be very ugly. Remove the financial subsidization from Americans and it becomes questionable what would be left.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
tooblue

Quote:
The church goes as the church in America goes.

Where are the great international successes for the church?

Europe? Latin America? Africa? Asia? (I'm soon going to be running out of continents here).

Polynesia?

This is an American church with international members that are administered by Americans. Period.

Pull out all American missionaries and Mission Presidents and the collapse would be very ugly. Remove the financial subsidization from Americans and it becomes questionable what would be left.
Interesting tactic ... wouldn't the same thing happen if the great Amerikan Empire were wiped clean from the face of the planet? Think carefully about your answer.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Interesting tactic ... wouldn't the same thing happen if the great Amerikan Empire were wiped clean from the face of the planet? Think carefully about your answer.
We all know darn well the world markets go sharply up each time the Dow drops 300 to 500 points in one session.

If Canada disappeared, about the only ones that would care are the drivers that have to use its highways to get from A to B when driving to or from Alaska and the Contiguous 48.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
tooblue

Quote:
By the way, how's your Boy Scout troop doing with the massive American funded budget you have
Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Are you asking me what a world without America would be like?

Or what a world led by Russia, China, and the EU would be like?

Everyone loves to hate America. But if the light in America ever goes out, they will come to fear the darkness, trust me.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Everyone loves to hate America. But if the light in America ever goes out, they will come to fear the darkness, trust me.
Kind of like CG, right?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #19
tooblue

Quote:
Are you asking me what a world without America would be like?

Or what a world led by Russia, China, and the EU would be like?

I love America. I'm proud to be an American. I wear my American values on my sleeve. I'm simply pointing out the absurdness of your arrogance.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
We all know darn well the world markets go sharply up each time the Dow drops 300 to 500 points in one session.

If Canada disappeared, about the only ones that would care are the drivers that have to use its highways to get from A to B when driving to or from Alaska and the Contiguous 48.
The US is dollar is worth how much these days?