cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
What else is it? And when you answer, describe what it adds that withholding of the Sacrament or stripping of callings, prayers, etc. and temple recommends doesn't.
While there is an aspect of revoking someone's blessings that does feel punitive, the larger intent is to spur repentance.

Is someone who shows contrition at a disciplinary council sufficiently penitent to match his offense? There's no way to answer such a hypothetical question because each circumstance is different. But on the (in my opinion, increasingly rare) occasion when a penitent man is nonetheless excommunicated, it is intended to help the repentance process, not merely to punish.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
While there is an aspect of revoking someone's blessings that does feel punitive, the larger intent is to spur repentance.

Is someone who shows contrition at a disciplinary council sufficiently penitent to match his offense? There's no way to answer such a hypothetical question because each circumstance is different. But on the (in my opinion, increasingly rare) occasion when a penitent man is nonetheless excommunicated, it is intended to help the repentance process, not merely to punish.
I know that's the intent, and I guess it depends on the level of penitence. But if a person is penitent, then I don't see a reason to ex him. To aid the repentance process? He's fully penitent!
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ignore them. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. Also, if you're indifferent they don't care about you.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Also, if you're indifferent they don't care about you.
This is true, and is part of the reason why excommunicating the penitent bothers me.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
Tex

Quote:
I know that's the intent, and I guess it depends on the level of penitence. But if a person is penitent, then I don't see a reason to ex him. To aid the repentance process? He's fully penitent!
You're speaking of penitence as though it's binary.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Levin

Quote:
You're speaking of penitence as though it's binary.
For the purposes of this discussion, yes. I acknowledged in an earlier post that the level of penitence matters, but for pursposes of this discussion, it's fair to say that if a person is penitent -- even "mostly" penitent -- then I see litte that is added to the repentance process by kicking him out of the Church.

You haven't been able to explain why, except to say, "the penitent don't get exed that often, and when they do, it aids the repentance process." How?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #17
Tex

Quote:
For the purposes of this discussion, yes. I acknowledged in an earlier post that the level of penitence matters, but for pursposes of this discussion, it's fair to say that if a person is penitent -- even "mostly" penitent -- then I see litte that is added to the repentance process by kicking him out of the Church.
That may or may not be. You're speaking in broad hypothetical terms that are very hard to apply in discrete cases.

Quote:
You haven't been able to explain why, except to say, "the penitent don't get exed that often, and when they do, it aids the repentance process." How?
In some cases, the given "level" (I don't much care for that term) of contrition may be insufficient in view of the transgression. Excommunication has been described by past prophets and apostles as delivering a person over to the "buffetings of Satan." Such a condition can induce a heretofore unexperienced level of contrition and godly sorrow that can aid a person in one very essential part of repentance: forsaking the sin.

The term excommunication is itself not my favorite because it carries such a pejorative image, as though the person is thrown out of his home and job, expected to sleep out in the cold under a bridge. On the contrary, priesthood leaders who choose to excommunicate a transgressor despite his penitence would be wise to keep careful watch on him thereafter, guiding him back to a full restoration of blessings.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
Levin

Quote:
Excommunication has been described by past prophets and apostles as delivering a person over to the "buffetings of Satan." Such a condition can induce a heretofore unexperienced level of contrition and godly sorrow that can aid a person in one very essential part of repentance: forsaking the sin.
Hypo for you: would your teenager who feels bad about messing up with his girlfriend be more likely to hew to the straight and narrow in situation A or B?

Situation A: Kick teenager out of the houseto live on his own with weekly visits for Sunday dinner.

Situation B: Stay at home, with a curfew, no closed bedroom doors, and loving, daily dinners.

Hypo doesn't match perfectly, but it drives home the point: kicking someone out of an organization is more likely to cause that person to desist from living by that organization's standards than by keeping him in the organization.

To say that exing a member will help that member forsake the sin doesn't seem to have any grounding in logic or experience. Such an argument has the same logic as spanking: the more we make it hurt, the more likely you won't mess up again. But then there is even a difference between spanking, and kicking you out of the house.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
Tex

Quote:
Hypo for you: would your teenager who feels bad about messing up with his girlfriend be more likely to hew to the straight and narrow in situation A or B?

Situation A: Kick teenager out of the houseto live on his own with weekly visits for Sunday dinner.

Situation B: Stay at home, with a curfew, no closed bedroom doors, and loving, daily dinners.

Hypo doesn't match perfectly, but it drives home the point: kicking someone out of an organization is more likely to cause that person to desist from living by that organization's standards than by keeping him in the organization.
Not only does it not match perfectly, it doesn't match at all. In fact, it's as if you completely ignored my last post.

Quote:
To say that exing a member will help that member forsake the sin doesn't seem to have any grounding in logic or experience. Such an argument has the same logic as spanking: the more we make it hurt, the more likely you won't mess up again. But then there is even a difference between spanking, and kicking you out of the house.
Again reflecting your view that excommunication is nothing but punitive. You've said this once already.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
Levin

Only defense you've given of exing a penitent person is that it will help him forsake the sin. I think kicking someone out of an organization is more likely to cause that person to desist from living by that organization's standards than by keeping him in the organization. Why do you think differently?