cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Utah Valley has more than its fair share of "financial flim flams" and in particular multi level marketing groups, which are slightly more honest "financial flim flams."

I am just as Utah County as you are, and I hate it when people needlessly bash the UC. But this is the absolute worst thing about UC in my mind, and really the only demonstrable negative.
Sure, but using LDS ties to promote a scam among fellow members is not at all limited to Utah County. And when Elder Oaks warns LDS faithful about such scams, to imply that he is "really" talking about those stupid UC folks and not about the overall LDS population is absurd.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Utah County=closest thing to utopia on earth, but that's just my opinion. I dare any one of you to show me a better place.
For about 5 years, my wife and I lived about 8 blocks from here, right up Newport Coast Blvd.

I like this place better than Utah County.

I did enjoy the proximity of the mountains in Utah County, though.

I hated that ugly supermarket that looks like an oyster.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #13
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Elder Oaks knows where the hotbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Sure, but using LDS ties to promote a scam among fellow members is not at all limited to Utah County. And when Elder Oaks warns LDS faithful about such scams, to imply that he is "really" talking about those stupid UC folks and not about the overall LDS population is absurd.
of church-related scams are. I would trust him in what he says. The GA are more in touch with more topics that you would imagine. The Church employees may live in the corporate bubble, the 12 Apostles don't.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody seen Mafia to Mormon? It is an "Inspiriside" by this former wise guy that eventually joined the church. His first exposure to Mormons came when he was interested in a business proposition from a Utah firm. He put up $50,000 and came out to Utah to check it out. The guy that picks him up at the airport is a recent return missionary and then he meets the company owner. Being who he is, the wise guy quickly sees it is a scam and makes the Utah guy an offer he couldn't refuse to get his $50,000 back. The $50,000 came back quickly.

But the trip was not all for not. Missionaries come to his home in Detroit two weeks later and eventually he joins the church.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 AM   #15
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
of church-related scams are. I would trust him in what he says. The GA are more in touch with more topics that you would imagine. The Church employees may live in the corporate bubble, the 12 Apostles don't.
Yes. Apostles don't live in a bubble.

Example:

I remember seeing a group of Hinckley Scholars introduce themselves to President Hinckley at the Marriott Center. University officials were bragging to President Hinckley about how there were so many scholars from outside Utah (only 4 from Utah), and even a few from other countries. President Hinckley had no praise for the "diversity." Instead, he turned to the officials and complained: "Why aren't there any from Salt Lake?" He wasn't joking. It sure sounded like a bubble to me. Granted, President Hinckley almost never made comments like this in front of a wider audience.

Can it be a coincidence that the Q of the 12 was dominated by Salt Lakers for so many years?

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 03-10-2008 at 02:26 AM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 AM   #16
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Anybody seen Mafia to Mormon? It is an "Inspiriside" by this former wise guy that eventually joined the church. His first exposure to Mormons came when he was interested in a business proposition from a Utah firm. He put up $50,000 and came out to Utah to check it out. The guy that picks him up at the airport is a recent return missionary and then he meets the company owner. Being who he is, the wise guy quickly sees it is a scam and makes the Utah guy an offer he couldn't refuse to get his $50,000 back. The $50,000 came back quickly.

But the trip was not all for not. Missionaries come to his home in Detroit two weeks later and eventually he joins the church.
Brother Faccione is a High Councilor in my stake! Great guy he learned to read when he was in his 40s. A true testament of changing your life to be a mormon
Old 03-10-2008, 02:34 AM   #17
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
For the record, he didn't mention Utah County. That was my little interpretation / joke.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 AM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Can it be a coincidence that the Q of the 12 was dominated by Salt Lakers for so many years?
Probably had something to do with the fact that the church is HQ'ed there, and for many, many years that's where the bulk of experienced church membership resided.

Just a wild guess.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #19
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Probably had something to do with the fact that the church is HQ'ed there, and for many, many years that's where the bulk of experienced church membership resided.

Just a wild guess.
I'm not saying it isn't understandable. I'm just saying it is/was a bit of a bubble.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh my. You are indeed clueless. The Utah County link was a joke by FM.