cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #11
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
That was Tal Bachman. He is a very bitter former Mormon these days. He is rabid about it in a Steve Benson kind of way. I think his internet message board of choice is the Recovery from Momormisn Board so it is possible to enjoy his philosophical opining about the wonders of Mormonism all the time.

Also Bachman did have one hit song a few years back. I think it is called, "She's So High."

That was a wussy song, unlike the kickass Bachman Turner Overdirve. I wonder if Randy's still active.

I came across that recovery from mormonism board. I don't think I've come across a more bitter group of people in the world. It was scary.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:57 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I took bucket showers most of the time, with water collected from our roof.

In one place, this rainwater ran out due to drought.

So I had to use the communal water "faucet". It was a pipe that came off the hill. Groundwater of sorts. Not particularly clean.

I contracted the worst case of jock itch I have ever had. We are talking walking bow-legged and blood on the clothing.

Worse, I was in an area where I didn't even have a toilet! I had to take dumps in the jungle. Eventually we dug a new outhouse (the old one had become full or somethng). Some protested that building an outhouse next to the well was not a good idea, but by then, we were too far along to turn back!

Good times. I loved my mission. Band of brothers.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:00 AM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Good grief. Where did you serve?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The Chuuk Lagoon.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:12 AM   #15
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Chuuk Lagoon.
Guam Micronesia?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:19 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

So I had to use the communal water "faucet". It was a pipe that came off the hill. Groundwater of sorts. Not particularly clean.

I contracted the worst case of jock itch I have ever had. We are talking walking bow-legged and blood on the clothing.

Worse, I was in an area where I didn't even have a toilet! I had to take dumps in the jungle. Eventually we dug a new outhouse (the old one had become full or somethng). Some protested that building an outhouse next to the well was not a good idea, but by then, we were too far along to turn back!

I guess it wouldn't help my case to mention that we had to buy bottled water in Palermo, as it wasn't safe to drink it in the area of the city I was in?

You win.

Agreed about the Band of Brothers comment. It was a tremendous experience that created many memories that I'll always treasure.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #17
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Chuuk Lagoon.
After I left Bangkok, I served in Leyte, Philippines. Similar experience - no running water, hole in the ground for toilet. The coolest thing was to light a newspaper on fire, throw it down the toilet hole, then watch the sides of the hole come alive with roaches and all manner of things that creep and crawl.

Tal Bachman is a pussy - he should talk to the missionaries that accidentally stepped in standing water and caught Schistosomiasis Japonicum before he whines about how tough he had it.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
What about the guy that said if his mission president had told him to strap a bomb to his chest he would have? Yikes. I don't care how anti you are now, why would you say something like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Tal Bachman was an interesting interview. While he would have strapped a bomb to his chest if the MP asked him, many of the missionaries I have known wouldn't get up on time. He seems like AP material.
Why is it that the most rapid apostates appear to have been the most over-the-top, crazyily devout members?

Agreed, Tal Bachman is a pussy and a musical embarassment to his father's legacy. If you are going to leave The Church, at least be a kick-ass musician.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #19
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'll see your bathtub with no shower and raise you a bathtub and a shower, but water only available from 5:00-8:00 AM.

I am still baffled as to why Palermo was my favorite city.
Please... how about a big garbage can full of water that you use a pan to dump water on your head.

or How about never putting toilet paper in the bowl (always in the waste basket besides the toilet and remember don't leave it sunny side up)
Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #20
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

awww... south america...