cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Given the doctine that children that die before the age accountability automatically get the E ticket, and given the number of children that have died in Asia and Africa over the years, I suspect the BIC among us that make it are going to look around and go, "What the . . . ?"

Does that mean those Asian and African children were more valiant even than us BICs? What about those that died before 1978?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
DarkBritches' question just made me realize what the meaning behind Goat's name is - the mascot of the Naval Academy is a goat. It all just came together for me...
At least you're man enough to admit that it took you 3 years to figure this out.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:54 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Last Sunday our high councilor gave a lengthy diatribe on how those who are BIC were judged to be more valiant in the pre-existence. In other words our station in this life is solely the result of our pre-earthly obedience. In his words, "a beggar in Calcutta has more to overcome than a middle class resident of Happy Valley" and this is in partial atonement of his early disobedience.

Were we as a congregation wrong to think this guy was preaching false doctrine? To say it upset those present (including the investigators) is an understatement. Of course he did not cite any scriptures, only some obscure JOD quotes. If he was in error, how do we stop this renegade HC?
I'm wondering just how it is that you could listen to an entire speech by a high councilor and not succumb to slumber. I usually take the opportunity of that Sunday to get an early start on my new tradition of skipping Sunday School and heading home to eat something by leaving after partaking of the sacrament. And extra 30 or so minutes of tv time while pounding down a nice ham and swiss sandwich on wheat is as close to eternal happiness that I'll probably ever know. It's even better on Fast Sunday, as I get to eat earlier. But I digress.

Now, where was I?

Oh yeah - call this particular high councilor and tell him that you were really uncomfortable with his ideas and ask why he would feel compelled to present this as doctrine. Or, do what Goatnapper would do - shoot his prize cow and have tri-tips for dinner.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:06 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

High Councilor in our ward started going off on colored shirts. He said, "I don't know, I just think they are fruity."

It just so happened I was wearing an almost neon green shirt that day on the 2nd row.

This was actually a good talk, because he was riffing in all kinds of directions. Thirty-something old guy from the Spanish-speaking ward. It was fun.

The crazier the talk, the more I'm paying attention!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
High Councilor in our ward started going off on colored shirts. He said, "I don't know, I just think they are fruity."
in a perfect world, you would have made eye contact at the comment, and you could have winked at him.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
in a perfect world, you would have made eye contact at the comment, and you could have winked at him.
No, you would have feigned disgust, ran out of the chapel, creating a disturbance and ruining his concentration.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:30 AM   #17
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
He lives in the wilds of SE Idaho... you do the math.
He does math with them? Or is that some sort of statistician euphemism?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote