cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you believe the Godhead to be?
Homousious (one substance): God consists of 3 distinct persons who constitute one divine essence 3 14.29%
Homouoiosious (like substance): God consists of 3 distinct persons unified by their common divinity. 6 28.57%
Tritheism: Three Gods band together for a common purpose, like a basketball team. 11 52.38%
Other (please explain) 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2007, 04:40 AM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If we want to argue about the definition of "worship" that's another matter. In my opinion, we *honor* the Son, but as Jesus himself said, all glory is to the Father.
Which Father? Father Jehova (Jehova is Jesus himself, right? In which case you do worship Jesus, and also pray in his name). Or some other Father? Grandpa? Don't say Elohim. Elohim is a noun, not a proper name. But if Elohim is the Father, and so is Jehova the Father, who's on first? Who is "Heavenly Father?" Jehova or Elohim? It seems like there's an extra father in the mix here, and a father/son conflation. And Mormons have called the trinity absurd all these years.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:00 AM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Which Father? Father Jehova (Jehova is Jesus himself, right? In which case you do worship Jesus, and also pray in his name). Or some other Father? Grandpa? Don't say Elohim. Elohim is a noun, not a proper name. But if Elohim is the Father, and so is Jehova the Father, who's on first? Who is "Heavenly Father?" Jehova or Elohim? It seems like there's an extra father in the mix here, and a father/son conflation. And Mormons have called the trinity absurd all these years.
All Mormons here who are confused by anything except why on earth Seattle is still going off on this stuff, please raise your hand now.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
All Mormons here who are confused by anything except why on earth Seattle is still going off on this stuff, please raise your hand now.
You're right. I have no dog in this fight. But I'm just challenging folks to think a little more deeply about their theology. I too once was dismissive about the traditional trinity without appreciating how impossibly muddled and complex the issue is from any perspective.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just because we believe that there may be more than one god, doesn't mean we worship more than one. ...
If anything, it is the Christians who are polytheistic...
Polytheism is the belief in more than one deity. Worship has nothing to do with it.

I can see an argument that Christianity is polytheistic. An argument that traditional Christianity is polytheistic while Mormonism is monotheistic, that I don't see.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:08 AM   #15
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Polytheism is the belief in more than one deity. Worship has nothing to do with it.

I can see an argument that Christianity is polytheistic. An argument that traditional Christianity is polytheistic while Mormonism is monotheistic, that I don't see.
Mormons pray to one being, and one being alone. Catholics, on the other hand . . .

I wouldn't make the argument myself, by the way.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:09 AM   #16
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Let me add, for those of you who are LDS and say that we worship both the Father and the Son.

Well, unlike the guys in Tallahassee Nights, we don't pray to Jesus.

And I don't think any of you would claim that we worship the Holy Ghost. So why would we worship just two out of the three members of the Godhead?

If we want to argue about the definition of "worship" that's another matter. In my opinion, we *honor* the Son, but as Jesus himself said, all glory is to the Father.
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/3_ne/11/17#17

I worship all three members of the Godhead.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 05-21-2007 at 05:11 AM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #17
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Mormons pray to one being, and one being alone. Catholics, on the other hand . . .

I wouldn't make the argument myself, by the way.
I'm not questioning who or what anyone prays to. I'm wondering how many gods are recognized.
Christianity recognizes some x number of Gods where 1<=x<=3
That's either monotheism or polytheism depending on where the x lands.

It was my impression that there are multiple gods within LDS theology, and regardless of whether all of them are worshipped, that's polytheism. Now, other than what you kind members have shared with me, I got all my information on LDS beliefs from the Baptist Student Union, so there's a possibility of inaccuracies.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:14 AM   #18
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You're right. I have no dog in this fight. But I'm just challenging folks to think a little more deeply about their theology. I too once was dismissive about the traditional trinity without appreciating how impossibly muddled and complex the issue is from any perspective.
I don't have a problem with it. I find it neither impossibly muddled nor complex. If there's anybody who feels the need to have it explained, I'd be happy to give my understanding via boardmail.

I secretly suspect nobody really feels the need.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 AM   #19
ChinoCoug

Quote:
If we are to become gods, are we destined to suddenly become tripartite?
No. Some say we join the trinity. And keep referring to LDS non-Christians. I'm sure the Lord appreciates it.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #20
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I'm not questioning who or what anyone prays to. I'm wondering how many gods are recognized.
Christianity recognizes some x number of Gods where 1<=x<=3
That's either monotheism or polytheism depending on where the x lands.

It was my impression that there are multiple gods within LDS theology, and regardless of whether all of them are worshipped, that's polytheism. Now, other than what you kind members have shared with me, I got all my information on LDS beliefs from the Baptist Student Union, so there's a possibility of inaccuracies.
Can one be considered a god if he is not worship-worthy? I believe so. If our concept of deification we can ever be worshipped.