cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 AM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Don't engage. Talking to SU about Mormon Doctrine (the actual "doctrine", not the book) is like making eye contact with a panhandler. He'll be pounding on your windows as you drive away shouting "There is no doctrine!"
LOL.

or, following SU's recent lead, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 AM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Don't engage. Talking to SU about Mormon Doctrine (the actual "doctrine", not the book) is like making eye contact with a panhandler. He'll be pounding on your windows as you drive away shouting "There is no doctrine!"
You are not doing me justice. That is not the extent of my point.

If I must spell it out to you, to a person like me (sorry, I was born this way) the whole notion of "errors" in religious doctrine, like a computational error in a differential equation, is just flat out ludicrous. (It's only interesting if the issue arises no less than 1,500 years ago.)

Doubly ludicrous if you are talking about "Mormon Doctrine." (How many of those errors were errors because McConkie was describing "policy" and not "doctrine"; or, have the number of errors changed as the doctrine has changed?)

But it gets really funny when you consider the "doctrinal" statement that has made Mormon Doctrine notorious, and it was Mark E. Peterson ("who of all people but that ...") who identified the "errors." Funny stuff. Seriously.

Ute4Ever has a wonderful flair for irony. Like the time the Pope clarified "limbo" and UFE said that unlike Catholicism Mormonism hadn't changed any doctrines, just polcies. Keep it up UFE.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
...why was its author later called to be a member of the Q12? It seems as though Elder McConkie had a solid understanding of the fundamentals, but when he tried to elaborate, his superiors often found him wrong. As in hundreds of times.
Dunno. Ask God.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Dunno. Ask God.

He said to work it out on your own and leave Him be for more important things.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
He said to work it out on your own and leave Him be for more important things.
Is that why we shouldn't bother praying anymore? At over 6 billion, has humanity reached such a critical mass that God blows off most of the stuff we pray about now?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Is that why we shouldn't bother praying anymore? At over 6 billion, has humanity reached such a critical mass that God blows off most of the stuff we pray about now?
Praying about why somebody who is dead served in an administrative capacity in an organization is something he should care about? Past is past.

Prayer is mostly meditational, too much petitional.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #17
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Presently the Tennessee state lottery is sitting on $200 million for Saturday's draw. It makes me wonder how many millions of people are praying this week with good intentions, saying please pick me because I just want to help people; please inspire me with the winning combination.

Multiply that for every lottery nationwide and worldwide. Millions and millions of prayers every day - maybe every hour - are probably lotto requests.

I wonder if my inquiry of "why did you choose Elder McConkie" would leap to the head of the queue?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Praying about why somebody who is dead served in an administrative capacity in an organization is something he should care about? Past is past.

Prayer is mostly meditational, too much petitional.
First and foremost, my initial response is because God was involved in the decision-making process in calling BRM as an apostle.

As for prayer, he cares about it because you care about it. It's all part of having the pure love of God.

I realize you believe in an absentee God that occasionally sends postcards from exotic places with "Wish You Were Here" inscribed, which I'm still trying to figure out if this is due to a lack of faith or whether it's a mechanism of convenience that allows you to create a religion in your own image.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Presently the Tennessee state lottery is sitting on $200 million for Saturday's draw. It makes me wonder how many millions of people are praying this week with good intentions, saying please pick me because I just want to help people; please inspire me with the winning combination.

Multiply that for every lottery nationwide and worldwide. Millions and millions of prayers every day - maybe every hour - are probably lotto requests.

I wonder if my inquiry of "why did you choose Elder McConkie" would leap to the head of the queue?
The "ask God" was an obvious rhetorical response, indicating that there was more divine involvement than your original question seemed to allow for.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #20
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess maybe I am right that things said by the brethern should be taken as counsel and not commandment.

Now, if the counsel is proceded by, "thus saith the Lord", I might relent and say that could be commandment not counsel.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote