cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've read quotes saying it was unnatural and unreasonable for a man to be able to meet his needs with just one woman. That this arrangement was the only sane one that would prevent adultery.

Later of course, the church would become more puritanical.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a Russian taxi driver in L.A. when I was interviewing for med school.

I told him I learned Russian on my mission. He started telling me how much he loved Mormons, how his son went to dental school with a bunch of Mormons and they were wonderful people.

Then he segued into praising polygamy, saying things like "I love my wife, but after 30 years of marriage, she is like a sister to me. One woman is not enough for any man. You Mormons are right about that."

I felt bad having to tell him that we don't believe in polygamy anymore.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The First Presidency issues a proclamation that all married couples should have sex five times a week, certainly no less than two. They can establish sex nights like FHE.

I figure the guys presently in a torpor about LDS faith or many who are now uninterested in joining would quickly and easily buy into the "follow the leaders" mantra, and the women, especially the ones who chant "honor your priesthood" (they being the women who probably like sex the least) would be in a box. The LDS Church's appeal is to people with an old fashioned paternalistic outlook anyway.

I have to give attribution. This idea came to me while reading a novel by a Frenchman, Michel Houlebeq, called The Possiblity of an Island. It's futuristic and there's a subplot about a cult that supercedes monotheism as the dominant belief system.
The church could also spend a week with you highlighting the life of an apostate. Folks could see how one can't let go and decide it ain't worth the worry of leaving.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The First Presidency issues a proclamation that all married couples should have sex five times a week, certainly no less than two. They can establish sex nights like FHE.
What if I'm not ready to cut back to five times?

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #14
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default He meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
What if I'm not ready to cut back to five times?
with your wife.