cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #11
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
While this is harsher than I would have said it, I basically agree. Depression is real. Deal with it and do your duty.
Sure, we all get the blues and feel down sometimes. After a short time and some bucking up, we usually feel better. Major Depression is different. People who have never had it don't seem to realize this.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:00 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Sure, we all get the blues and feel down sometimes. After a short time and some bucking up, we usually feel better. Major Depression is different. People who have never had it don't seem to realize this.
Clinical depression, both temporary and permanent is serious, but it's rare for twenty year old males to suffer it in the proportions that we're seeing in terms of elders coming home. If they want to say, it sucked and I didn't like it, I'd be better with that than, dummying a phony medical excuse.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:01 AM   #13
danimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mental illness is serious, but it appears depression is thrown around loosely to excuse any time somebody feels badly for himself. As malapert stated, many of these are simply, coddled and soft middle class kids who can't hack it.
Maybe. The only ones I've seen go home were pretty severe cases -- many suicidal. Assuming that going home for depression is pretty ungenerous.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:11 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Maybe. The only ones I've seen go home were pretty severe cases -- many suicidal. Assuming that going home for depression is pretty ungenerous.
In my mission, nobody went home during the entire time I served. In my ward, we have had several coddled boys who came home, claiming depression but when I inquired if the kids are now medicated, the parents have responded "oh, no, it went away."

Except in rare cases of extreme temporary clinical depression, it doesn't just "go away."
Old 03-09-2008, 03:21 AM   #15
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
While this is harsher than I would have said it, I basically agree. Depression is real. Deal with it and do your duty.
It was unduly harsh but I also agree. It is epidemic in this generation. Unfortunately in my experience teaching this age group depression and an accute inability to handle too much stress is more an excuse than real. This same generation brings their parents to college to argue with professors over grades!

While I am extremely sympathetic to emotional problems suffered by many I parrot Adam when he says; deal with and do your duty.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #16
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
In my mission, nobody went home during the entire time I served. In my ward, we have had several coddled boys who came home, claiming depression but when I inquired if the kids are now medicated, the parents have responded "oh, no, it went away."

Except in rare cases of extreme temporary clinical depression, it doesn't just "go away."
You are correct -it doesn't just go away.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:26 AM   #17
danimal

Quote:

I agree that major depression doesn't just up and go away; however, to group all people who come home with depression as being slackers is very stigmatizing and unfair to people with serious problems.

The lifetime prevalence rate is 5-12% for men. It shouldn't be surprising that several from every mission go home because of it.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

actually people with a first episode of major depression, 50% will not have another episode.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #19
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
Quit making excuses for them danimal. Let me guess, danimal is under 30 years of age.
I didn't see danimal deny being under 30 years of age.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 AM   #20
danimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
I didn't see danimal deny being under 30 years of age.
You are incorrect.