cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 04:04 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I might be mistaken, but I think the way inflation is reported has changed since Carter was president. I would be surprised if inflation isn't a least ten percent now. Doesn't the government take out food, energy, and housing when calculating inflation?
Could be, but that doesn't help Carter's case.

I will give him a break about the killer rabbit attack. That could cause anyone severe duress.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Presently, Bush does not acknowledge his tresspassatories, give apologatories or express any remorse (or as he would call it, "express my freedom feelings"). How can one forgive a person who is still actively engaged in his destructive ways and refuses to address or entertain the public opinion?

At least Clinton apologized for setting a bad example (Lewinsky), then engaged in a year-long, worldwide humanitarian tour with his former political rival. That was something. Presently Bush has done nothing.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I don't meant to interrupt another fun piss-on-Bush thread, but there was a report yesterday on how well prepared the Bush administration is for the transition. They've apparently worked closely with transition teams in both campaigns to make sure things go smoothly.

Contrast that to the way Bill Clinton handled it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I've never been a big supporter. I didn't vote for him in the 2000 primaries, and I voted 3rd party in the general. I never believed he was a true conservative so I while disappointed, I wasn't really let down by his domestic record because it was expected. I've disagreed with much of what he's done. I think Iraq was probably a mistake.

That said, I believe he is a fundamentally decent man who truly did what he felt was in America's best interests (and ultimately he may very well be vindicated). While much of the criticism is warranted, much of it is gross hyperbole. He certainly doesn't deserve the Bushitler scorn heaped upon him from the left since day one.

So can I forgive him? Sure, but since I never have felt betrayed I'm not sure there's a need.

The one thing he could have done that would have been unforgivable for me would be to go after guns. He didn't. Plus he appointed two great judges to the SCOTUS. Those two things alone make him vastly superior to Gore and Kerry and there's no question he'd easily get my vote over Obama.
These same folks now want everyone to work together? Practice what you preach, you liberal communists!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Presently, Bush does not acknowledge his tresspassatories, give apologatories or express any remorse (or as he would call it, "express my freedom feelings"). How can one forgive a person who is still actively engaged in his destructive ways and refuses to address or entertain the public opinion?

At least Clinton apologized for setting a bad example (Lewinsky), then engaged in a year-long, worldwide humanitarian tour with his former political rival. That was something. Presently Bush has done nothing.
What destructive ways? Entertain public opinion? Are you saying the public has all the info the president has at his disposal when making decisions? you mean like governing through polls?

I hope you weren't old enough to vote.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #16
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Right now, I can't. Maybe never.
A sincere man, IMO, but a terrible leader. He should take a lot of blame for the division in the country. When you always have to make those who disagree with you to be traitors and people who hate freedom and America, it doesn't exactly serve much of a purpose.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #17
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Plus he appointed two great judges to the SCOTUS. Those two things alone make him vastly superior to Gore and Kerry and there's no question he'd easily get my vote over Obama.
How close we came to Alberto Gonzales and Harriet Miers however. I credit divine Providence for making sure we didn't get the people Bush really wanted.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-06-2008 at 03:07 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
How close we came to Alberto Gonzales and Harriet Miers however. I credit divine Providence for making sure we didn't get the people Bush really wanted.
True. But he gets blamed for alot of things not under his control, which is just part of the deal. So he gets credit for Roberts and Alito.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
A sincere man, IMO, but a terrible leader. He should take a lot of blame for the division in the country. When you always have to make those who disagree with you to be traitors and people who hate freedom and America, it doesn't exactly serve much of a purpose.
While he may have some role to play in the current division... one, it's always been there, and two, the left was worse. To them he was the illegitimate "selected" president and they never gave him a chance. I hope the right treats Obama better than the left treated Bush. I will certainly try.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #20
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't meant to interrupt another fun piss-on-Bush thread, but there was a report yesterday on how well prepared the Bush administration is for the transition. They've apparently worked closely with transition teams in both campaigns to make sure things go smoothly.

Contrast that to the way Bill Clinton handled it.
I didn't realize they were that well prepared for the transition. In that case all in forgiven and should make up for the never ending war, the outrageous deficit and leaving the Republican party in taters. Honestly I think Bush's intentions were good but Cheney lead him down a very dark road.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote