cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Since 2/3 of the members at church have been members for 2.5 years or less, things are kept pretty simple. I find myself kind of in missionary mode with my comments in class, trying to simplify or clarify what is in the priesthood manual.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So far, I like the answers, and some follow up questions:

How much does knowledge of the instructor matter?

If not the knowledge of the instructor what other aspects of the instructor make the lesson enjoyable? Appropriate humor?

Familiarity with other members?
Knowledge of the instructor is less important than the ability to engage those who are knowledgeable, and to use those people to enhance the lesson.

The instructor should be able to A) keep things moving - to be able to close discussions tactfully and move it on rather than allowing it to stagnate, and B) end the bloody class on bloody time. I hate the RS for this reason - they're already five minutes over and STILL sing all five verses of the closing song.

Appropriate humor helps engage me in the lesson.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
All of us have attended lessons we didn't appreciate and I assume we attended some we appreciated.

What characteristics do you find make for a good lesson?

other than preparation.
I like two things:

1. Someone who has studied the lesson material enough to teach me so things that I didn't know before, ie, they teach something beyond what is in the manual it self.

2. They ask good questions that spark discussion, ie, skip most of the questions in the manual.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Since 2/3 of the members at church have been members for 2.5 years or less, things are kept pretty simple. I find myself kind of in missionary mode with my comments in class, trying to simplify or clarify what is in the priesthood manual.
That can't be remotely true in North America. That is not the church experience almost anyone on this board has. I understand that is the rationale for keeping it simple though.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
That can't be remotely true in North America. That is not the church experience almost anyone on this board has. I understand that is the rationale for keeping it simple though.
Sorry, I wasn't clear here. I'm talking about my current branch, not the church in the US or in the world in general.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #16
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I like two things:

1. Someone who has studied the lesson material enough to teach me so things that I didn't know before, ie, they teach something beyond what is in the manual it self.

2. They ask good questions that spark discussion, ie, skip most of the questions in the manual.
I agree. A teacher doesn't even have to be particularly knowledgeable if s/he knows how to skillfully involve people of varying interests and abilities.

When everyone feels like their contributions are valued and welcome, the classes will usually cruise along nicely.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I agree. A teacher doesn't even have to be particularly knowledgeable if s/he knows how to skillfully involve people of varying interests and abilities.

When everyone feels like their contributions are valued and welcome, the classes will usually cruise along nicely.
One of the things I have seen over and over is the inability of a teacher to control certain of their class members. In other words, one or two people take over the class and no one else raises their hand. Handling that situation requires a lot of tact, but it can be done.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One of the things I have seen over and over is the inability of a teacher to control certain of their class members. In other words, one or two people take over the class and no one else raises their hand. Handling that situation requires a lot of tact, but it can be done.
This requires a member who knows the other members, but can do so tactfully. Not everybody can do it, and it may be why some less experienced members shouldn't teach GD.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
Gifted Fish

Gifted Fish is on a distinguished road

The only thing that I truly dread is the time-wasting: "let's break into groups and then report back at the end of class with your group's conclusions on ___." Horribly boring, almost never insightful, and typically a sign that the teacher couldn't think of anything interesting to teach/discuss.

At least with boring, non-participatory lectures by the teacher, I can read something else or peruse the web on my phone.
Gifted Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #20
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I'm aware of the dangers but it's to bad we don't talk about current events in Priesthood. We were going over baptism Sunday and it was a rehash of everything I've heard since primary. It would have been a lot more interesting to talk about the FLDS and how this affected us as LDS. Perhaps the open forum of CG has ruined me.
Whenever our instructors start talking current events, it almost always is in the direction of the legalization of gay marriage or the decline of the media. One of my pet peeves is this sort of underlying theme that the 1950's culture was so much more righteous than ours.

Yeah, segregated schools, sending pregnant teenage girls out of town until they delivered their babies, women tending to every need of ours, McCarthyism....those were the days, weren't they? Back when you could openly hate a gay person and no one would look down on you for it.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote