cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
I posted? Do you or do you not agree that the devaluation of the dollar is due in most part to the US Government's printing of more and more money?

I know it will take some thought on your part......but give it a try! :mrgreen:
I'm not Milton Friedman, but I don't think the devaluation of the dollar has all that much to do with what the gov't is printing. Most transactions don't even use paper currency. Rather, it's a result of the fallout of the subprime mortgage stuff, the credit crunch, looming recession, and soaring national debt due to two wars (all related factors) that have caused the decline of the dollar.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:07 AM   #12
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I'm not Milton Friedman, but I don't think the devaluation of the dollar has all that much to do with what the gov't is printing. Most transactions don't even use paper currency. Rather, it's a result of the fallout of the subprime mortgage stuff, the credit crunch, looming recession, and soaring national debt due to two wars (all related factors) that have caused the decline of the dollar.
Ding, ding, ding!

exUte, take an econ class before you start discussing inflationary forces. It's a little deeper than "money-printing".
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
is shooting up. Oil companies are raking in record profits. Gas prices are skyrocketing and consumers are suffering. So the answer congress is coming up with............tax the oil companies!

So help me understand how that is going to alleviate the high cost of gasoline whereby consumers are being killed?
We need to drill in Alaska. F those tree humping hippies in Berkely. However, we need our members of our government to stand up to these theives, who are robbing us blind and putting more money in the pockets of their shareholders than ever before.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).

Last edited by BYUTexan; 03-15-2008 at 05:38 AM.
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #14
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Job well done Pres Bush. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:26 AM   #15
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
We need to drill in Alaska. Fuck those tree humping hippies in Berkely. However, we need our members of our government to stand up to these theives, who are robbing us blind and putting more money in the pockets of their shareholders than ever before.
You know, it takes a certain amount of gravitas and skill to effectively employ profanity. I posit that you do not yet have enough of the former, nor have you demonstrated enough of the latter, to do so here.

Let's not just throw out F-Bombs just because we can, please.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
whether you use gas or not is a matter of choice.
My wife says the same thing whenever I fire my cannon.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We need to drill in Alaska. F those tree humping hippies in Berkely. However, we need our members of our government to stand up to these theives, who are robbing us blind and putting more money in the pockets of their shareholders than ever before.
Agreed with drilling in Alaska part. Disagreed with the whole theives who are robbing us blind part. Why dont you buy some oil company stocks or ETFs to get in on some of that action?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
because our government just continues to print more money.
It's primarily due to our trade imbalance.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #19
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
is shooting up. Oil companies are raking in record profits. Gas prices are skyrocketing and consumers are suffering. So the answer congress is coming up with............tax the oil companies!

So help me understand how that is going to alleviate the high cost of gasoline whereby consumers are being killed?
Why should we try to alleviate the high cost of gas? Aren't high gas prices a good thing from an environmental perspective?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #20
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Job well done Pres Bush. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Oh come on. The president gets far too much credit for a good economy and far too much criticism for a bad economy. This isn't me defending Bush... it's true universally.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote