cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2008, 05:47 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Not at all. My answer is that there are limits to what can and should be done in the name of "saving lives." It just creates a slippery slope. That and the fact that you won't ever know for a fact that you are saving lives, and the silly hypo you have proposed won't ever actually occur. I feel safe in saying "no, not worth it." Better to face God with a clear conscience. You're up.
Good to know that you'd let a terrorist kill millions.

Would I do what you suggested?

I don't know. Until I'm faced with that, I can't answer.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not at all. My answer is that there are limits to what can and should be done in the name of "saving lives." It just creates a slippery slope. That and the fact that you won't ever know for a fact that you are saving lives, and the silly hypo you have proposed won't ever actually occur. I feel safe in saying "no, not worth it." Better to face God with a clear conscience. You're up.
The slippery slope is a bankrupt argument. We're not slippery sloping anywhere.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Good to know that you'd let a terrorist kill millions.

Would I do what you suggested?

I don't know. Until I'm faced with that, I can't answer.
Afraid to answer?

Sounds like you would let a terrorist kill millions.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 03-14-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #14
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The slippery slope is a bankrupt argument. We're not slippery sloping anywhere.
Why is it bankrupt? At what point do you say you are "saving lives" and torture must, therefore occur?

Only when it is someone who knows something directly (how do you know they know something directly before you torture them)? What if they can give you a 50% chance of finding someone who knows something directly? 20%? What if they appeared to know something, but didn't? And now you really think you found the guy who knows? What if the guy believes he knows something, but he also was fed misinformation? What if the guy knew something that would have been useful 2 months ago, but it turns out it isn't now? What if he just makes something up to make the torture stop (like McCain claims he did all the time)? Once you start using torture, what guidelines do you use to know when to use it again or to stop? Who makes the decision?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Afraid to answer?

No. I did answer. It wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, but I did answer.

Again, my answer is "I don't know."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #16
Cali Coug

Quote:
No. I did answer. It wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, but I did answer.

Again, my answer is "I don't know."
So you are at least willing to entertain the idea you would let millions die? So what's your problem with my answer?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:05 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
So you are at least willing to entertain the idea you would let millions die? So what's your problem with my answer?
My problem with your answer is that you seem so sure that allowing millions to die is the right thing to in order to not torture a terrorist. You came across as thinking you are on some sort of higher moral ground than I am.

Had you asked me if I would water board a terrorist to save the lives of my family and millions others, my answer would have been yes. But you raised the ante - which is ok - and I learned that I would stop at hurting an innocent person rather than a terrorist.

I can understand wanting to face God with a clear conscience - but is that for your benefit? What about the millions that could have been saved had you water boarded the terrorist? Would their deaths be on your head?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #18
Cali Coug

Quote:
My problem with your answer is that you seem so sure that allowing millions to die is the right thing to in order to not torture a terrorist. You came across as thinking you are on some sort of higher moral ground than I am.

Had you asked me if I would water board a terrorist to save the lives of my family and millions others, my answer would have been yes. But you raised the ante - which is ok - and I learned that I would stop at hurting an innocent person rather than a terrorist.

I can understand wanting to face God with a clear conscience - but is that for your benefit? What about the millions that could have been saved had you water boarded the terrorist? Would their deaths be on your head?
You are just asking me the same question I asked you. What if raping and killing a child could save lives? Would you do it? I submit every person alive has a limit at which point they say "no." And they should say no.

And my answer was given so easily in part because I know the question you phrased isn't ever going to happen.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

In the great Hereafter, when those millions of dead people come up to you and wonder why you let them die and allowed them and their loved ones to suffer untold pain and anguish, do you confidently look them in the eye and tell them you made the right decision?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why is it bankrupt? At what point do you say you are "saving lives" and torture must, therefore occur?

Only when it is someone who knows something directly (how do you know they know something directly before you torture them)? What if they can give you a 50% chance of finding someone who knows something directly? 20%? What if they appeared to know something, but didn't? And now you really think you found the guy who knows? What if the guy believes he knows something, but he also was fed misinformation? What if the guy knew something that would have been useful 2 months ago, but it turns out it isn't now? What if he just makes something up to make the torture stop (like McCain claims he did all the time)? Once you start using torture, what guidelines do you use to know when to use it again or to stop? Who makes the decision?
I understand that this is the philosophic argument. I'm saying that in practice, we're not slippery sloping anywhere. This is just doomsday arguing, like when people freaked out over the "library book" provision of the Patriot Act. "What's next?!" they said. "It's a slippery slope!!" Then a year or two later, out comes John Ashcroft who says, "It's never been used."

I don't accept the argument that waterboarding is de facto torture, but even if I did, it's application has been narrow and controlled. I don't see a slippery slope here.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote