cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I've been independent for many years, although there was once a time I considered registering Dem. The last year has made me very glad I didn't. I agree that there really isn't all that much different between the parties. There do seem to be some stark differences between individual candidates, however, which is good to see.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
with the GOP, if Romney goes down because of his Mormonism?

The parties are actually not that far apart. You can find anti-abortion dem candidates. Pro-gun dems. Anti-gay marriage dems. Small-govt. dems.

It would be too bad if the dem party in Utah in particular can't capitolize on this bigotry to point out that many are mindlessly cozying up to people who hate them.
No. There may be some Repubs that hate me because I'm a Mormon, but that won't stop me from wanting to pay less in taxes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
So you literally are not aligned with a single thing in the democratic party? that actually is pretty unique. I rarely meet someone who is 100% aligned (knowingly) with all his/her party's beliefs.
What does the Democratic Party stand for?

High Taxes.

Big Government Regulation of Business.

Big Bureaucracy.

Strong Federal Government over states' rights.

Big Oppressive Environmental Regulation.

Gay rights.

Socialization of medicine.

Subjugation of our interests to those of Continental Europeans.

What else are the pillars of the Democratic Party?

Now, the Libertarian Party has quite a bit of appeal. It has many hands off issues, laissez faire.

I identify with the Libertarians on many social issues, the Reps on many economic issues. But I can't think of a think the Dems do correctly.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

High Taxes.

Big Bureaucracy.

Gay rights.

Now, the Libertarian Party has quite a bit of appeal. It has many hands off issues, laissez faire.

I identify with the Libertarians on many social issues, the Reps on many economic issues. But I can't think of a think the Dems do correctly.
Aren't Dems and libertarians generally similar on social issues (abortion, gay rights, etc)?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Aren't Dems and libertarians generally similar on social issues (abortion, gay rights, etc)?
I think the difference is that Dems want those issues to be laws, while Libertarians don't care one way or another about those issues, so long as they don't hinder their lives.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

High Taxes.

Big Bureaucracy.

Gay rights.

Stem cell research, tighter restrictions on The Gun of the Hand, harder stance against censorship, environment, to name a few.

If you cannot find a single thing in either the democratic or republican party that you agree with, you are not being intellectually honest.

I am surprised you are not more aligned with Dems since most academics and pseudo-academics identify themselves as liberals.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #17
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I think the difference is that Dems want those issues to be laws, while Libertarians don't care one way or another about those issues, so long as they don't hinder their lives.
Yea, that's probably true. As absurd as I think the anti-gay crowd is, it'd be preferable if it became understood that the constitution provides them with the same rights as everyone else, rather than having to make a law about it. I don't know if that'll ever happen though, so I wouldn't be opposed in theory to a law stating "yes, morons, that includes gays."
Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Stem cell research, tighter restrictions on The Gun of the Hand, harder stance against censorship, environment, to name a few.

If you cannot find a single thing in either the democratic or republican party that you agree with, you are not being intellectually honest.

I am surprised you are not more aligned with Dems since most academics and pseudo-academics identify themselves as liberals.
I favor most research, but I'm not about to get up in arms about it. I do NOT favor tighter gun restrictions, as it upsets the libertarian in me. I'm a Westerner at heart, and the frontier does not provide for such limitations.

I don't agree that Dems are about the environment, they are about Big Government taking control of Big Business in the name of the Environment. The Party really could give a shit about the environment, but only the power this issue gives them over a rival.

There is no middle reasonable party on the environment. How clean is clean is usually the debate? And I don't know the answers but the shrill semantics don't convince me.

I don't agree with kow-towing to the Euros. Yes, since most academics depend upon government grants they look to the gravy train, Dems. I don't get a penny from the Government so the Dems are of no benefit to me.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I favor most research, but I'm not about to get up in arms about it. I do NOT favor tighter gun restrictions, as it upsets the libertarian in me. I'm a Westerner at heart, and the frontier does not provide for such limitations.

I don't agree that Dems are about the environment, they are about Big Government taking control of Big Business in the name of the Environment. The Party really could give a shit about the environment, but only the power this issue gives them over a rival.

There is no middle reasonable party on the environment. How clean is clean is usually the debate? And I don't know the answers but the shrill semantics don't convince me.

I don't agree with kow-towing to the Euros. Yes, since most academics depend upon government grants they look to the gravy train, Dems. I don't get a penny from the Government so the Dems are of no benefit to me.
well, you and Snipe have a lot in common!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Yea, that's probably true. As absurd as I think the anti-gay crowd is, it'd be preferable if it became understood that the constitution provides them with the same rights as everyone else, rather than having to make a law about it. I don't know if that'll ever happen though, so I wouldn't be opposed in theory to a law stating "yes, morons, that includes gays."
Quite honestly, I think you could say pretty much the same thing to the gay crowd:

"Yes, morons, gays are already included."