cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

It will be interesting to hear what happens to Tonga. Dabney shoplifted from the mall and was booted for good. Gilford stole some stuff from lockers in the Richards building and was booted for a year. I think Whalen was finally booted for stealing, but I think it was his second offense and he was stealing booze. Very bad. My guess is that Tonga will be kicked out of school for a year and it won't be up to Bronco.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

i have tried to type this 3 times and keep erasing it for some reason, maybe because i might be ruffling some feathers. But here we go again:

This is my opinion only on the situation. Growing up around nothing but polys, they feel like they have a sense of entitlement, Polynesians in Utah strive to be like blacks in other states. They feel like they are the minorities here and that they are basically untouchable. They think its cool to be in gangs (anyone remember the provo boyz?) They go around looking for trouble (i know because i used to do the same thing with them) I dont want to stereotype a whole culture, but this is my experience and i know a lot of polynesians in the state. I know a lot of polys that are great people, they would give you the shirt of their back literally, they are kind, caring, and honestly the best friends you could ever imagine, they literally take care of you for life. I get invited to all family functions, even by 2nd and 3rd cousins, and they treat me like a member of the family.

However almost all of the polys that i grew up have been in trouble with the law in one way or another (including some former and current BYU football players.) A lot of times it was fighting but they do have a bad reputation for stealing as well. We would go to parties and while people were hanging out and doing their thing, my poly friends would disappear. We would get in the car and they would pull out Cds, digital cameras, playstations, whatever. It was amazing to me. Also they were caught once and no one said anything because they were afraid of them.

The craziest thing about polynesian culture is that their parents are so strict it is not even funny, I watched my best friends dad break a 2x4 over his little brothers back for stealing a dump truck. They are deathly afraid of their parents, yet almost all polynesian youth that i hung out with loved and respected their parents, their family as well as the church, however they all also got in trouble.

It seems like once they hit a certain age, everything clicks and they become just like their parents. I am not sure what the phenomenon is that makes the youth act the way they do. You dont see a lot of older polys in trouble with the law. But the youth run wild at times, its almost like an initiation of some sorts, i went to a father-son campout and some very well known players were getting drunk in one of the tents, and giving alcohol to some of the younger boys. We walk up and see what is happening, now my reaction would be to get pissed at the older kids for drinking at a ward campout and for giving beer to 10 and 11 year olds. But instead my friend gets pissed at his brother for taking it and literally punches him in the face right there. He doesnt say a word to the older kids.

Mike you are the doctor this would be a good phenomenon for you to research.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
i have tried to type this 3 times and keep erasing it for some reason, maybe because i might be ruffling some feathers. But here we go again:

This is my opinion only on the situation. Growing up around nothing but polys, they feel like they have a sense of entitlement, Polynesians in Utah strive to be like blacks in other states. They feel like they are the minorities here and that they are basically untouchable. They think its cool to be in gangs (anyone remember the provo boyz?) They go around looking for trouble (i know because i used to do the same thing with them) I dont want to stereotype a whole culture, but this is my experience and i know a lot of polynesians in the state. I know a lot of polys that are great people, they would give you the shirt of their back literally, they are kind, caring, and honestly the best friends you could ever imagine, they literally take care of you for life. I get invited to all family functions, even by 2nd and 3rd cousins, and they treat me like a member of the family.

However almost all of the polys that i grew up have been in trouble with the law in one way or another (including some former and current BYU football players.) A lot of times it was fighting but they do have a bad reputation for stealing as well. We would go to parties and while people were hanging out and doing their thing, my poly friends would disappear. We would get in the car and they would pull out Cds, digital cameras, playstations, whatever. It was amazing to me. Also they were caught once and no one said anything because they were afraid of them.

The craziest thing about polynesian culture is that their parents are so strict it is not even funny, I watched my best friends dad break a 2x4 over his little brothers back for stealing a dump truck. They are deathly afraid of their parents, yet almost all polynesian youth that i hung out with loved and respected their parents, their family as well as the church, however they all also got in trouble.

It seems like once they hit a certain age, everything clicks and they become just like their parents. I am not sure what the phenomenon is that makes the youth act the way they do. You dont see a lot of older polys in trouble with the law. But the youth run wild at times, its almost like an initiation of some sorts, i went to a father-son campout and some very well known players were getting drunk in one of the tents, and giving alcohol to some of the younger boys. We walk up and see what is happening, now my reaction would be to get pissed at the older kids for drinking at a ward campout and for giving beer to 10 and 11 year olds. But instead my friend gets pissed at his brother for taking it and literally punches him in the face right there. He doesnt say a word to the older kids.

I found it somewhat interesting when years ago a Polynesian church burned up down by Rose Park. It wasn't an LDS church. The community both poly's and other were outraged that someone would do this, understandably so.

Of course some said racism and hate was involved. Eventually it was found to be some kids that belonged to the church. I remember how strongly the members of the congregation pleaded for nothing to be done with these kids. They should be let go as it was nothing more than a bad prank.

Maybe a ward in Bountiful would have reacted the same way. We don't see how other units react because they aren't a "culture".

I think kids of all cultures have little respect for rules and laws. I blame it partially on the culture coming from the liberals. No one is really responsible anymore. Corporations are ripping you off so rip them off. Provo city gives santuary to illegals. Hollywood stars are above the law for the most part.

Our kids have learned the law is about who can get away with it or break it. The law only applies to certain people and somehow they think it isn't them.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My experience isn't as extensive as yours, but that seems pretty accurate.

They're great to have as friends, not so great as an enemy. At a BYU/Utah game a few years back my buddy and I made friends with the polys sitting behind us. Came in handy when I got into a scuffle with the guy sitting next to me. The poly just cold cocked this guy out of nowhere. Knocked his ass out. As we were led away by security, the poly said something like "I got your back bro" and we bumped fists. I didn't even know his name.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It will be interesting to hear what happens to Tonga. Dabney shoplifted from the mall and was booted for good. Gilford stole some stuff from lockers in the Richards building and was booted for a year. I think Whalen was finally booted for stealing, but I think it was his second offense and he was stealing booze. Very bad. My guess is that Tonga will be kicked out of school for a year and it won't be up to Bronco.
This was months ago. Don't you think the HC Office has already handed down their sentence by now?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #16
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
This was months ago. Don't you think the HC Office has already handed down their sentence by now?
I don't know. I guess maybe they have. This is my first time hearing all this. Has the HC already ruled?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't know. I guess maybe they have. This is my first time hearing all this. Has the HC already ruled?
Matangi fell afoul of the law back in April. I think it's safe to say they have.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #18
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Matangi fell afoul of the law back in April. I think it's safe to say they have.
Then what's the verdict?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:57 AM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Then what's the verdict?
He got kicked out of school..what do you think?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:31 AM   #20
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:

Amen.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote