cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 05:26 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Robin,

Other than the "butt as a sex organ" thread :shock: , I have very much enjoyed your contributions here and on CB. I hope you stick around.

As for "the Crypt", you are making WAY too much out of it. It is just not that big of a deal.

Stick around man.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ...

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 PM   #13
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What is said in the Crypt may not be a very big deal, but having a majority of people say that your sincere contribution to the board does not merit participation is a big deal.
Why? WHy is it a big deal? Why do you care what we, a granfalloon (do you read Vonnegut?) of otherwise unrelated people think about your 'sincere contribution?' You're a bright guy, and you have plenty of opinions that you seem to be confident of, so why is it a big deal? Sometimes in life one is rejected and not valued or loved. Surely you have seen that enough to know it is true. SO what? If you are telling me that your sense of self is affected by the vote here (and I find that very hard to beleive) then you need to spend more time with family and in other places, becacsue this place is nothing. It has no long term value and is little more than standing around the water cooler telling stories.

Look, other than CP this is an open forum and your contirbutions have been as useful as anyone else's. Moreover, if people don't like your topics, they can simply choose to ignore them. OTOH, I will not beg you to stay, nor will I encourage you to go. It really doens't matter that much to me either way, and it shoudln't to you or anyone else, IMO.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #15
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:50 PM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Creekster, it is obvious that I value my time in these chat forums in a different way than you. The concept of 'community' is taking some interesting turns in the cyberage, and if I am going to spend as much time on a chat board as I have here, it is a reflection of the value that I place in the sense of community that exists here.
Maybe this is why we don't see eye to eye; it may be a generational thing. IF so, I pity where our communities (the real ones, not the cyber ones) are going.

I know, I know, I am becoming the resident old fart. Maybe I should change my moniker. I'd post more but I need to go make those kids get the hell off my grass.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #17
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Robin,

Other than the "butt as a sex organ" thread :shock: , I have very much enjoyed your contributions here and on CB. I hope you stick around.

As for "the Crypt", you are making WAY too much out of it. It is just not that big of a deal.

Stick around man.
What is said in the Crypt may not be a very big deal, but having a majority of people say that your sincere contribution to the board does not merit participation is a big deal.
Robin, there is some truth to what you say. No matter what you say or do, sometimes, on some message boards, there is no forgiveness. Some boards like CB have cliques and it is damn near impossible to be heard unless you are in one of these cliques and people bow at your feet regardless of what you say. On these BYU and Utah message boards, we're quick to label people both a genius or an asshole...mostly we all fall inbetween somewhere in the genihole region.

I'll be honest, cliques suck, I think that some people wayyyyy overvaule what others on an internet message board think of them...but I can tell you this much. CP (in my opinion) is NOT a clique. It's purpose is to allow those that want to to have good and sincere discussions about various subjects. I myself was just admitted not too long ago, but if you truly want to be admitted, then rather than have a long drawn out exit, stick around and be a positive, thoughtful, insightful contributer...don't just fall on your sword because you aren't in.

It is your job to change people's minds, not their job to change because you feel bad because you weren't admitted. Stick around, keep on posting, and in a while, ask for another vote and perhaps you'll see a change in some...you might not, but it's worth a try.

p.s. great photography on your site.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #18
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Robin... I'll go ahead and try to give you some constructive feedback here. I was among those who gave you the thumbs down. Let me tell you why and what would change that...

Someone once said that CG was the Mormon version of the corner pub. There have been conversations in CP that I know would never have taken place in any open forum. In short, it all comes down to a level of trust and comfort.

My "no" vote had nothing to do with your liberal views, anal salsa fixation, or history with Mike. Frankly, I just don't know you that well. If I'm having a conversation with somebody in CP I get the general feeling that it will not be made light of later, reproduced on CB, or treated with any form of disrespect.

Don't look at it as a popularity contest. It's not like people vote no as a way of saying, "Robin is a prick, don't let him in."

It's more like "Who knows this guy well enough to endorse them as someone we all trust?"

When I answer "no" it means, "No, I don't know this guy well enough to speak for him."

Unfortunately, there are just not enough people on CG that know you well enough to say that they know and trust you.

FWIW... The vote wasn't unanimous, I think if there were a 3rd category like "I don't know this guy well enough to endorse him" it might have been very close.

Hang around, continue to participate in the conversations, as people (like me) come to know and trust you, things will change.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #19
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #20
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I don't have membership into Pen and Sword. I am fine with that.

I also don't have a membership at the local countryclub either. They only admit a certain amount of people each year upon "merit". I still haven't gotten in. Doesn't mean I quit golfing or playing tennis....

I don't really have a problem with you Robin. But I do take issues with some of your stances......

1. Sometimes I interpret your posts to say "If you don't agree with me you are wrong".

2. You tend to be long winded. If your posts go past 3 paragraphs I quit reading and go to the next person. You are smart and use big words that a Junior College graduate doesn't understand or care to look up.

3. Your posts go like this....

person - I like white

RF - black is better, you should really consider why you like white...

person - I like McDonalds

RF - BK is better because they use......

You are a persona. You have stated before that you like to stir things up a little.

I don't like "stirred". I don't like authority for the most part. I have my opinion and someone telling me I should "take another look" usually makes my eyes roll into the back of my head and I start thinking about supermodels...

I don't like the persona.....but I very much could like you as a person.

The_Tick (internet) = The_Tick (real life) are the same person.

I never understood the whole online persona thing.

You need to not take it peronally.