cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
am i missing something?
Look at his real name.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an old switcheroo.

Elder Cook and Elder McMullin look so much alike that the Quorum is getting two for one. Elder Cook will, amazingly, be in more than one place at a time.

On the plus side, Elder Cook isn't a CES guy.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I like some of the comments Cook has made to the media about wanting to remove the stigma associated with not serving a mission.
Did he not serve a mission?

If not, did he say why?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #14
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Did he not serve a mission?

If not, did he say why?
He served a mission. I've just seen these kinds of statements in news stories:

"Cook and Watson say the church is also working to remove the stigma young men and their families may bear if they do not go on a mission. But they know this will take time."

http://rickross.com/reference/mormon/mormon261.html
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
He served a mission. I've just seen these kinds of statements in news stories:

"Cook and Watson say the church is also working to remove the stigma young men and their families may bear if they do not go on a mission. But they know this will take time."

http://rickross.com/reference/mormon/mormon261.html
Oh, got it.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Russell M. Nelson 10 children (AIDS is God's plague for homosexuals)
I don't remember you ever substantiating this claim, although you said it was in several major newspapers. Can you provide a link or a reference?

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...8&postcount=18

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #17
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't remember you ever substantiating this claim, although you said it was in several major newspapers. Can you provide a link or a reference?

"Russell Nelson, a senior Mormon Church official considers AIDS as a plague abetted by the immoral." News in Brief: Utah. Advocate 17 November 1992: 27.

http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/data/dmchurch.htm

And from the Ensign in November 1992:

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOr...____&hideNav=1
Old 10-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #18
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

And apparently Nelson doesn't believe in evolution either.

http://www.bycommonconsent.com/2007/...-in-evolution/

Amazing:
Forum: The church has said it neither promotes nor opposes capital punishment. It says it “opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience.” It does not oppose removing a medical patient from “artificial means of life support.” Different denominations deal differently with questions about life’s origins and development. Conservative denominations tend to have more trouble with Darwinian evolution. Does the church have an official position on this topic?

Nelson: We believe that God is our creator and that he has created other forms of life. It’s interesting to me, drawing on my 40 years experience as a medical doctor, how similar those species are. We developed open-heart surgery, for example, experimenting on lower animals simply because the same creator made the human being. We owe a lot to those lower species. But to think that man evolved from one species to another is, to me, incomprehensible.

Forum: Why is that?
Nelson: Man has always been man. Dogs have always been dogs. Monkeys have always been monkeys. It’s just the way genetics works.
Wickman: The Scripture describing the Lord as the creator of all of these things says very little about how it was done. I don’t know of anybody in the ranks of the First Presidency and the Twelve [Apostles] who has ever spent much time worrying about this matter of evolution.
Nelson: We have this doctrine, recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 101: “When the Lord shall come again, he shall reveal all things, things which have passed, hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth by which it was made and the purpose and the end thereof, things most precious, things that are above, things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, upon the earth, and in heaven.” So as I close that quotation, I realize that there are just some things that we won’t know until that day.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"Russell Nelson, a senior Mormon Church official considers AIDS as a plague abetted by the immoral." News in Brief: Utah. Advocate 17 November 1992: 27.

http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/data/dmchurch.htm

And from the Ensign in November 1992:

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOr...____&hideNav=1
Here's the relevant quote:

Quote:
Today we are seriously concerned with the increasing incidence of human infection with HIV (Human Immunosuppressive Virus) and variant viruses and the associated outbreak of AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome). An epidemic has been forecast—a plague fueled by a vocal few who exhibit greater concern for civil rights than for public health, a plague abetted by the immoral. Some live in lust as though God’s commandment to be chaste was written with an asterisk, exempting them from obeying. And regrettably, as in previous plagues, many innocent victims are doomed to suffer. Where is wisdom?
That is a far cry from calling it God's plague on homosexuals. Thanks for the reference ... I suspected you had botched his words.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #20
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And apparently Nelson doesn't believe in evolution either.

http://www.bycommonconsent.com/2007/...-in-evolution/

Amazing:
Forum: The church has said it neither promotes nor opposes capital punishment. It says it “opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience.” It does not oppose removing a medical patient from “artificial means of life support.” Different denominations deal differently with questions about life’s origins and development. Conservative denominations tend to have more trouble with Darwinian evolution. Does the church have an official position on this topic?

Nelson: We believe that God is our creator and that he has created other forms of life. It’s interesting to me, drawing on my 40 years experience as a medical doctor, how similar those species are. We developed open-heart surgery, for example, experimenting on lower animals simply because the same creator made the human being. We owe a lot to those lower species. But to think that man evolved from one species to another is, to me, incomprehensible.

Forum: Why is that?
Nelson: Man has always been man. Dogs have always been dogs. Monkeys have always been monkeys. It’s just the way genetics works.
Wickman: The Scripture describing the Lord as the creator of all of these things says very little about how it was done. I don’t know of anybody in the ranks of the First Presidency and the Twelve [Apostles] who has ever spent much time worrying about this matter of evolution.
Nelson: We have this doctrine, recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 101: “When the Lord shall come again, he shall reveal all things, things which have passed, hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth by which it was made and the purpose and the end thereof, things most precious, things that are above, things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, upon the earth, and in heaven.” So as I close that quotation, I realize that there are just some things that we won’t know until that day.

Got news for you -you don't either ... the whole theory has changed considerably with time
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote