cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #11
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
so how fast are these dudes going when they are racing to the finish line. also, i understand the prologue was day 1? but after day 2, that completes the first stage won by the aussie Robbie Mcewen? how many stages are there? what are some things i should be looking for to make my first TdF a good one? velonews.com is great. thanks RCV.
Generally 20 stages over a three week period. Two rest days, seven to eights days in the mountains and one or two time trials. In the past the first week was mainly for the sprinters and the real race didn't start until week two. I think they have tried to add some difficultly to the first week this year to mix it up a bit. The real action is when they get to the Pyrenees and the Alps. As Phil would say "it is then when we find out who are the contenders and who are the pretenders".

Last edited by RC Vikings; 07-09-2007 at 05:40 AM.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
wait, Cancellara has the yellow jersey? Does that mean he won the first stage? i saw that he won the TT.. this is all confusing. i need to take TdF 101.
Cancellara is still in yellow because he has the best overall time. When they finish in a pack like they did today they give them all the same time unless their are time bonuses for winning.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Generally 20 stages over a three week period. Two rest days, seven to eights days in the mountains and one or two time trials. In the past the first week was mainly for the sprinters and the real race didn't start until week two. I think they have tried to add some difficultly to the first week this year to mix it up a bit. The real action is when they get to the Pyrenees and the Alps. As Phil would say "it is then when we find out who are the contenders and who are the pretenders".
okay, this is wasn't what i expected at all.. it's not as simple as just running a part of the whole race each day and then add up your time at the end of the 3 week period. it's a bit more technical than that i guess. i wish i could see it live on TV... although the velonews website has been great.. thanks!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote