cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I've had discussions with a family member, who seems forthright enough. There may be a reason why Bronco gave up, but it hasn't been disclosed to anybody speaking. The only given reason is completely ambiguous. Ultimately, Bronco and staff wanted the individual to come to BYU, pay for his expenses, not play but just hang around school and the football team. This was not clear to the family.

So I have some speculation but in this case, Bronco may have goofed. And the loss of this player has nothing to do with honor code, grades or anything else, but team expectations and perhaps a missed judgment of the commitment of a player. I wish Bronco had gone the extra mile. We didn't gain anything by him releasing the scholarship and he should have tried as the kid was already invested and he is a special talent. Again, Bronco won't always get it right.
So you're saying Bronco didn't that he'd be an asset?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I've had discussions with a family member, who seems forthright enough. There may be a reason why Bronco gave up, but it hasn't been disclosed to anybody speaking. The only given reason is completely ambiguous. Ultimately, Bronco and staff wanted the individual to come to BYU, pay for his expenses, not play but just hang around school and the football team. This was not clear to the family.

So I have some speculation but in this case, Bronco may have goofed. And the loss of this player has nothing to do with honor code, grades or anything else, but team expectations and perhaps a missed judgment of the commitment of a player. I wish Bronco had gone the extra mile. We didn't gain anything by him releasing the scholarship and he should have tried as the kid was already invested and he is a special talent. Again, Bronco won't always get it right.
Well, I don't have any special connections to anyone so maybe I should just shut up. But all I'm going on is what was in the press, and they tell a different story:

Quote:
"I'm sorry he's not coming back," Mendenhall said of Phillips, a speedy tailback from Boaz, Ala., who redshirted last season.

"Drew is someone that struggled in his time here at BYU, just kind of in team policy and consistency," Mendenhall explained. "At the end of the spring semester, Drew was notified that he would not have his scholarship renewed, but that he'd have a great chance to come back if and when and how he did in his summer school classes to pay his own way for a year. Based on how that year went, he would then have a chance to rejoin us on aid. There was a letter sent to their home. Anytime we pull scholarships, which we don't do very often, there's a letter sent. I think that was the beginning of July or the end of June. That's when that was stated. That's probably as specific as I can get."

Phillips has not been participating in fall camp due to academic reasons.
If you're saying none of this is true, ok then. But that's what was reported.

Besides that, we've all followed Bronco's approach to recruiting the last several years, and the idea that he would explanation-less-ly "give up" on an athlete who had no complicating issues (grades, honor code, etc) and who excels in a position we need seems quite out of character.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Well, I don't have any special connections to anyone so maybe I should just shut up. But all I'm going on is what was in the press, and they tell a different story:

Besides that, we've all followed Bronco's approach to recruiting the last several years, and the idea that he would explanation-less-ly "give up" on an athlete who had no complicating issues (grades, honor code, etc) and who excels in a position we need seems quite out of character.
The understanding is incomplete and I believe inaccurate. The family believed the sole criteria for requalifying was adequate grades over the summer semester, during which the player recevied A's. Coach Dupais informed the family he was on track in July, and then at the last moment was informed his scholarship was pulled. It was given to the linebacker who pulled out of the Canadian league.

So the article is incomplete and misleading. Again, it just seems Bronce got frustrated with the player for some reason not apparent to me, wanted the linebacker on scholie again, note the defensive back was willing to pay his way and assumed the player would do the same.

It is frustrating because we receive very little of the story, as we should, but frustrating in that we didn't have an honor code problem, not a grade problem at this point, and a player who had invested more than a year. He is also at a position where we need a productive player. So the entire combination looks like one instance where Bronco goofed.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
So you're saying Bronco didn't that he'd be an asset?
Not what I'm saying. See post above.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Tex haven't you been hoodwinked enough by now, due to treating everything that is reported in the media as doctrine? Wise up, young pony. And I'm not just referring to football here.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Tex haven't you been hoodwinked enough by now, due to treating everything that is reported in the media as doctrine? Wise up, young pony. And I'm not just referring to football here.
True. I watch far too much MSNBC.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote