cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Why the watering down?

Because the Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle and/or are worthy to receive. Maybe it's an indictment of the level of spirituality in the Church.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Gospel Doctrine is not a history class, it's purpose is to focus on Gospel Doctrine. Of course just last week in my Gospel Doctrine class a heated discussion broke out over whether Christ really was Jehova, the God of the Old testemant -one of the main persons arguing against is a temle worker :shock:

... I'm certian most Wards could handle a open discussion about polygamy in GD :roll:

I know, that's too simple an answer and if I were a little more knowledgable about the church's history I'd more readily recognize that the church is dodging such issues :wink: Church services on Sunday exist for the express purpose of worshiping God, to renew our covenants and focus on the coure principles of the Gospel.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
Why the watering down?

Because the Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle and/or are worthy to receive. Maybe it's an indictment of the level of spirituality in the Church.
I remember when I was in high school and my mom asked me to explain why she found my girlfriend's bra behind the couch, and I told her she couldn't handle and wasn't worthy to receive that information. She didn't buy it.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Your Jack Nicholson impersination must not have been that convincing eh? I don't think I'll recommend it to our Gospel Doctrine teacher -something tells me it won't work well for him either :P
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
Why the watering down?

I wonder if this is true. And if so, I wonder what consequences we face because of it. How greatly would we benefit from the counsel of the brethren that they don't give out because we are too proud to take it?

The Lord will have a righteous people. If we are going in a downward direction, I imagine His patience has a limit.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #16
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
There is a hunger for more knowledge than is provided in Sunday meetings.
There's also a great fear of more knowledge than is provided in Sunday meetings. I think we all know which one's going to win out.

o

PS, I really don't think that the majority of members want to have to examine their faith very closely. They seem to like it packaged up neatly in emotion and happy socializing and crap and isn't intellectualism contrary to the Spirit anyway? No? Are you sure, cuz it sure seems like it ought to be since the exploration of knowledge is just so fundamentally *questionable*.

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #17
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Not too long ago, there was a segment in the Ensign that answered different doctrinal questions-- for example, "Who were the Maccabees?" I wonder what percentage of the average Relief Society has ever heard of them.
Side Note: That article was written by Gaye Strathearn. I know because I took the second half of New Testament from her at BYU. She's a genius. Consequently, I received my lowest grade in any religion course from her.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #18
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Interesting thread. I guess to add my 2 cents; I would say that Sunday School is a set-up for a general high level discussion that should wet your appetite for more knowledge and that should be done on later in a less formal atmosphere. I would say that 90% of my learning is from self or small group study. The other 10% is from hearing something from someone on a topic in Sunday School or a forum like this and then I investigate it myself. No topic should be off limits in GD, but it needs to stay at a high level discussion and let the deep dark mysteries be researched outside of that setting.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

hasn't the church discouraged small-group studying? They are afraid of apostacy, I think.

So if you were to extend this, there might be church leaders against something like this website....
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #20
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

My former Stake President (former next door neighbor) recommended setting up as small D&C study group because of questions raised in GD. It was great and helped me quite a bit. Just a few high priests trying to stay out of trouble and in line with the church.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote