cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I actually think Utah will be competitive with Alabama, and maybe even beat them. Alabama has been the most overrated team in the nation this year. They also rode the wave of the blessed schedule up through their final game. Alabama has no passing attack. Their running game is average, and their defense is quite good. Utah needs to be careful not to let Alabama score on defense, because Alabama's offense won't put up a lot of points. Utah's defense is pretty solid against the run. They didn't look good against BYU, but in part that was due to them being forced to respect BYU's passing game. I think it will be a very close game, and while Alabama has the home field advantage, they aren't nearly as excited about the game as Utah is. I think the Utes can win the game in a tight one.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and you can rub it in my face. But I don't think I will be.

Utah will fall somewhere between Hawaii and Boise State on the respectability table, but almost certainly on the Hawaiian side of the line between W and L.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Why don't you wait until after the bowl game to talk about the undefeated season?

The 'season' is over.

Yes, and as I recall, we went 8-0 in conference play. What's your point?
Going 8-0 in a pathetic conference is a whoop de doo!

Now answer this. Which would you prefer?

1) Going undefeated twice in 5 years and going to a BCS bowl twice in 5 years

**or**

2) Going undefeated in conference and winning the conference outright and going to the Las Vegas bowl year after year?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
exUte

Default Since college football is about money......

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and you can rub it in my face. But I don't think I will be.

Utah will fall somewhere between Hawaii and Boise State on the respectability table, but almost certainly on the Hawaiian side of the line between W and L.
I'll take a $3.5M payday vs. $400K. What say you?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Going 8-0 in a pathetic conference is a whoop de doo!

Now answer this. Which would you prefer?

1) Going undefeated twice in 5 years and going to a BCS bowl twice in 5 years

**or**

2) Going undefeated in conference and winning the conference outright and going to the Las Vegas bowl year after year?
False premise. Alabama will see to it that Utah does NOT go undefeated twice in 5 years.

That said, sure, I'd prefer to go to a BCS bowl game.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
All-American

Quote:
I'll take a $3.5M payday vs. $400K. What say you?
I say you need to find the point where I said it was bad to get to the BCS game.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
anything better than that?

Correct me if I am wrong, but even BYU wanted Kyle as their No. 1 guy. Discussions had been going on ever since the middle of Crowton's last year at BYU.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Ute fans were calling for Kyle's head at the beginning of this season. It was widely thought that if he struggled through this year, he could be fired. Now people think he is the next Urban Meyer. Kyle is a decent coach. He isn't a great coach. He didn't get Utah to 2 BCS games. He got them to 1, and he did it with a great schedule and some luck against TCU. Bronco has been much more consistent. Sure, I want BYU in a BCS game, but I also want a consistently good program. Bronco is providing that program for the Y. It is yet to be seen if Kyle can do the same with the U (especially if he leaves for greener pastures). BYU wanted Kyle. So far, I am glad they didn't get him. Maybe Kyle will prove me wrong in the future, but it will take more than 1 season.

Aren't you happy to be an ex-exie again?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
exUte

Default Bottom line is that most BYU fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but Ute fans were calling for Kyle's head at the beginning of this season. It was widely thought that if he struggled through this year, he could be fired. Now people think he is the next Urban Meyer. Kyle is a decent coach. He isn't a great coach. He didn't get Utah to 2 BCS games. He got them to 1, and he did it with a great schedule and some luck against TCU. Bronco has been much more consistent. Sure, I want BYU in a BCS game, but I also want a consistently good program. Bronco is providing that program for the Y. It is yet to be seen if Kyle can do the same with the U (especially if he leaves for greener pastures). BYU wanted Kyle. So far, I am glad they didn't get him. Maybe Kyle will prove me wrong in the future, but it will take more than 1 season.

Aren't you happy to be an ex-exie again?
are jealous of the U at this point. How can you not be. Two BCS bowls and two undefeated seasons. When was the last time we did either and they did it twice in recent memory. We talked about going BCS bowling.......they did.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #18
yankeecoug

yankeecoug is on a distinguished road
Default who is bigger?

yankeecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
are jealous of the U at this point. How can you not be. Two BCS bowls and two undefeated seasons. When was the last time we did either and they did it twice in recent memory. We talked about going BCS bowling.......they did.
Because Utah has fans like you, I can safely say I will never be jealous of them.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote