cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The culture is far more damaging than any manuals in this regard. I wish I could say that greater U.S. popular culture was an antedote. It also can be very harmful in much the same way, especially in combination with cues received from Mormon culture. Poor girls.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The culture is far more damaging than any manuals in this regard. I wish I could say that greater U.S. popular culture was an antedote. It also can be very harmful in much the same way, especially in combination with cues received from Mormon culture. Poor girls.
I don't doubt I can "counteract" anything I have a problem with. It's just that I don't think lessons should require "counteracting."

I'll probably just keep her home those days.

The church really messes up LDS girls, at least in the US. IMO, especially damaging is the conditioning to always obey male authority. Now that's a recipe for an abusive situation.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I don't doubt I can "counteract" anything I have a problem with. It's just that I don't think lessons should require "counteracting."

The church really messes up LDS girls, at least in the US. IMO, especially damaging is the conditioning to always obey male authority. Now that's a recipe for an abusive situation.
I'm concerned about similar issues with my son.

As a wild tangent, I've noticed what I think is an extinguishing of youths' creative fires in the Church. We pummel our poets, artists, actors, and painters with conformity, mediocrity, and bourgeois programs like Scouting. I don't mean to be too negative, the Church helps people in many ways, but I think there's a reason SiRS and I are the only LDS people we ever see at the art show, at the indy theater, or at the museum.

The Church cranks out business people and dentists like there's no tomorrow, but fine arts folks are a little scarce (and especially if music is exempted).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 02-27-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I never noticed my wife or daughters obeying male authority. You may be overstating the case. I wish they even listened to the men in the house.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The church really messes up LDS girls, at least in the US.
I couldn't agree more. I'm always terribly ambivalent when my daughters spend time with their extended families for this very reason.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I couldn't agree more. I'm always terribly ambivalent when my daughters spend time with their extended families for this very reason.
You gotta be kidding me. I can really handle some of the anti mormon stuff, but you folks get carried away into the ozone sometimes.

Fear of your daughter getting married and not having a great career might be well founded, if that is your desire for your daughter.

However, having her hang out with mormons is not a scary thought if one of your concerns is not having her knocked up before she is married.

I wish the church would be more open with the warts, however maybe they just think there are too many people like you out there who will take the ball and run with it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to see pics of SU's supposed girls. I don't think they exist.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your usually thoughtful posts are marred by such an unfounded and sweeping generalization.

Give me a break.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

-Care to give some examples of "really messed up LDS girls"?

-How do you know they wouldn't have been "Really messed up", and maybe even "MORE really messed up" were they not LDS?

I don't doubt that some LDS girls rebel against their parents/church. It happens with ALL teens. I fail to see what is so terribly damaging about teaching girls to be chaste, honest, etc.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #20
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Why do you bother having her involved with the church at all?

Sounds like you are trying to "force" your daughter to be the way you want her to be rather than allow her the choice to do what she wants.

Seems like I've heard the saying that you teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves.

Why all the animosity towards something you supposedly believe in?
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote