cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I agree with Tex. Discussions on this board have jaded me. I used to watch these little kids get up and say they know the church is true and I thought "how cute." I will bet those parents are proud.

As two little kids got up yesterday, I thought, how do they know? Well, they know because their parents told them so. However, with little kids they know there is a New York because their parent told them so.

Personally I don't mind those little kids getting up and saying they know. It is better than having full grown adults getting up and saying they know, they should know better.

I did appreciate one Sister who got up and stated she believed and had strong faith the gospel was true. Her brother is a 70. Maybe she also reads Cougarguard.
Welcome to the dark side, you will find friends and warmthy you never knew you never knew.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree with Tex. Discussions on this board have jaded me. I used to watch these little kids get up and say they know the church is true and I thought "how cute." I will bet those parents are proud.

As two little kids got up yesterday, I thought, how do they know? Well, they know because their parents told them so. However, with little kids they know there is a New York because their parent told them so.

Personally I don't mind those little kids getting up and saying they know. It is better than having full grown adults getting up and saying they know, they should know better.

I did appreciate one Sister who got up and stated she believed and had strong faith the gospel was true. Her brother is a 70. Maybe she also reads Cougarguard.
I should note that my post was laced with an element of sarcasm.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I should note that my post was laced with an element of sarcasm.
You're too binary for that.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
The First Presidency really did ask that no primary aged children take time in fast and testimony meeting.
Is that for all primary aged kids, or just for small children? I can't see any reason to deny an 8 year old baptized member the opportunity to bear his testimony in fast and testimony meeting if he so desires.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Is that for all primary aged kids, or just for small children? I can't see any reason to deny an 8 year old baptized member the opportunity to bear his testimony in fast and testimony meeting if he so desires.
I remember it as primary aged children but obviously I do not have the letter in front of me. In a ward like mine the rule doesn't make a lot of sense as perhaps 2 or 3 kids will bear a testimony of 30 seconds or less on any given fast Sunday. However, I can imagine that the folks in Utah or Arizona could be overwhelmed by primary aged kids bearing testimonies each fast Suday. I'm certain that's why the policy was generated.

Our Bishop made an effort about a year ago to remind our ward that A) we should be bearing brief, Christ centered testimonies and B) that the First Presidency had asked that primary aged children do not bear testimonies in Sacrament meeting. Both points were roundly ignored in that very meeting. I think it's just too hard to convince people that a little kid bearing a testimony is anything but a good thing.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
I remember it as primary aged children but obviously I do not have the letter in front of me.
I remember it as "small children". I think 8 and up is fine, depending on the kid. The rule we have with our kids is they have to be able to do it themselves. Nothing bugs me more than a Mom or Dad prompted testimony. Straight from the heart, yeah right.

On a related note, we have a family testimony meeting on Sunday evenng on fast Sundays at home. That's the right place to teach your kids how to bear a proper testimony IMO.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I remember it as primary aged children but obviously I do not have the letter in front of me. In a ward like mine the rule doesn't make a lot of sense as perhaps 2 or 3 kids will bear a testimony of 30 seconds or less on any given fast Sunday. However, I can imagine that the folks in Utah or Arizona could be overwhelmed by primary aged kids bearing testimonies each fast Suday. I'm certain that's why the policy was generated.

Our Bishop made an effort about a year ago to remind our ward that A) we should be bearing brief, Christ centered testimonies and B) that the First Presidency had asked that primary aged children do not bear testimonies in Sacrament meeting. Both points were roundly ignored in that very meeting. I think it's just too hard to convince people that a little kid bearing a testimony is anything but a good thing.
I think having your kids bear testimony in Sacrament meeting is a good way to let the rest of the ward know you are doing a good job raising your kids. It is tough on parents to give that opportunity up.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #18
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said, that's just how I remember the policy. It's been a couple of years since I saw the letter.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #19
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
I think having your kids bear testimony in Sacrament meeting is a good way to let the rest of the ward know you are doing a good job raising your kids. It is tough on parents to give that opportunity up.
LOL. Too true. Funny story. There is a woman in our ward who fits this to a T. They were bringing some refreshment to an event and her husband asked her to make some dessert he really liked. She didn't want to because it was a lot of work but he told her "I know how much you like to impress people." She showed up with the dessert in hand.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #20
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I remember it as "small children". I think 8 and up is fine, depending on the kid. The rule we have with our kids is they have to be able to do it themselves. Nothing bugs me more than a Mom or Dad prompted testimony. Straight from the heart, yeah right.

On a related note, we have a family testimony meeting on Sunday evenng on fast Sundays at home. That's the right place to teach your kids how to bear a proper testimony IMO.
My ten year old daughter shocked me pretty good (OK, just woke me up from my nap) when I suddenly heard her voice over the intercom system yesterday. Unprompted and unscripted. She started with the standard "I know the church is true", but then went on quite thoughtfully for another minute or two on topics very atypical for children's testimonies. She clearly was speaking from her heart. Three different people came up afterwards and told me something along the lines that they thought it was the best testimony of the day.

One of those little moments that makes being a parent satisfying...
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote