cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
P.S. If asked to look at a serpent perched atop a pole, you might want to do that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96
and meaningless. The only thing more stupider than the rule is getting upset about it.
Amen.

This was something that bothered me for a bit. Upon returning from my mission I went through the blue shirt and khaki thing for awhile before my old man asked me if I would wear a white shirt to church.

I did out of respect because he asked and it obviously bothered him that I hadn't been, but I can't say I did it without some murmuring. Later though I realized that my attitude was all wrong. Why should I take offense to wearing a white shirt to church? After all it's just a white shirt that I have to wear for 3 hours. What I truly had to examine though was whether or not my refusal or disdain for wearing a white shirt was something more indicative of an underlying and perhaps unconcious motive to not want to be like everyone else, or perhaps even more dangerous the Church. That may be a big leap, but it was something I considered and something I investigated inwardly.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody has ever asked me to wear a white shirt to church.

We had a high councilman get up and say that all men should wear white shirts because colored shirts are "fruity."

But that wasn't directed to me in particular.

Growing up, as a deacon/teacher/priest the only rule was that you had to wear a tie to administer the sacrament.

I only own a couple of white shirts, and they are not very nice. Almost all of my shirts are colored (for work). I don't even think twice about color.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep reading that we've been asked to wear white shirts. When did this happen? I think that it is almost purely cultural.

I'm with Creekster. I wore lots of blue shirts when I was exec. sec. and my bishop couldn't have cared less. I have a calling now in which I feel it would be nothing but a hassle each Sunday to explain why I'm not in a white shirt, so I wear a white shirt. I would never fault anyone for doing otherwise and quite frankly I have no idea where we ever got the idea that it was important.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #14
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I keep reading that we've been asked to wear white shirts. When did this happen? I think that it is almost purely cultural.
You're right. Just like facial hair on Bishops or the Brethren. It's a matter of respect and reverence.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
You're right. Just like facial hair on Bishops or the Brethren. It's a matter of respect and reverence.
Respect and reverence? It's just a matter of looking clean cut more than anything else. It's almost a matter of brand recognition. I can't imagine what it has to do with respect and or reverence.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not been asked to wear a white shirt, and I wear to Church whatever shirt happens to be clean. If it's white, so be it.

I'm not upset about a cultural expectation never handed down to me; plus I think they're just glad to see me at Church.

OTH, not wearing a white shirt has kept me out of YM's callings, which rewards enough for me.

My wife is pleased when my clothes actually match and I have combed my hair. Maybe that's why nobody would bother asking me to wear white, knowing what a challenge it is for me to match in the first place.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to admit I am pretty surprised by some of the responses. Equating my level of sacrifice to the color of shirt I am wearing? No one in priesthood authority has ever asked me to wear a white shirt. I have never heard a talk on wearing a white shirt. In fact, I went on Lds.org and did a search to see if there was an actual policy about the white shirt and I couldn't find anything. I have however, heard from several other people anectdotal stories about stake president, bishop etc (pick your priesthood leader) who chastised those who didn't wear white shirts.

The crux of my argument is this:
It doesn't make the priesthood I hold any different than one who wears a white shirt. If I were to bless or pass the sacrament in a grey shirt (my personal preference) the blessings associated with the sacrament would be just the same if I were to bless or pass the sacrament in a white shirt. God doesn't care what shirt I wear. Its not a sign of obedience if I wear a white shirt.

As for goatnapper's contention that its stupid to fight it I ask you what else am I supposed to do when I am in the clerk's office waiting for MLS to transmit?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
As for goatnapper's contention that its stupid to fight it I ask you what else am I supposed to do when I am in the clerk's office waiting for MLS to transmit?
My fellow brother.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

God may not care what color of shirt you wear, but IF you are asked to wear a white shirt "by those in authority", you should. That's my point.

If you haven't been asked to comply with white-shirtedness, then knock yourself out with whatever tickles you pink.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #20
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because I am asked by someone in authority means I should do it?