cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

When I taught Seminary, I used for the manual for the following purposes.

1. Find out what the lesson was.

OK. That's about it. And sometimes I fudged on that as well. I didn't really use many outside sources either. If you have a good working knowledge of the scriptures (and I am far from an expert), you can make very interesting lessons by just putting the scriptures together for them. A lot of kids that age have a decent knowledge of parts of the scriptures, but if you can weave things together, bring out themes, look under the surface, it's a lot of fun.

I only taught one year, since we moved out of state, and it was D&C. A typical class wasn't anything special, we would just read the heading(s), talk about the context, what was going on in church history at the time, what was going on doctrinally. Instead of just knowing that some scripture tells them they should pray, they know why the Lord may have said it at that time, what caused Joseph to ask about it, how it related to that section we read last week, etc. The time commitment was rough, but I enjoyed it a lot.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
When I taught Seminary, I used for the manual for the following purposes.

1. Find out what the lesson was.

OK. That's about it. And sometimes I fudged on that as well. I didn't really use many outside sources either. If you have a good working knowledge of the scriptures (and I am far from an expert), you can make very interesting lessons by just putting the scriptures together for them. A lot of kids that age have a decent knowledge of parts of the scriptures, but if you can weave things together, bring out themes, look under the surface, it's a lot of fun.

I only taught one year, since we moved out of state, and it was D&C. A typical class wasn't anything special, we would just read the heading(s), talk about the context, what was going on in church history at the time, what was going on doctrinally. Instead of just knowing that some scripture tells them they should pray, they know why the Lord may have said it at that time, what caused Joseph to ask about it, how it related to that section we read last week, etc. The time commitment was rough, but I enjoyed it a lot.
This is why D&C is my favorite book of scripture to study. There is so much historical context available to us.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote