cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Would Europeans have even colonized the Americas?
He sure didn't prevent them.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
I suspect that given the chance to think about it, most of these people would have revised their statements, in all fairness. But the fact that I have heard it so much is still interesting. I'm surprised noone else has heard this, though I suppose maybe I'm one of the few on the board who would steer a conversation in this direction--perhaps that's the reason. [Most often it is said after I say something like "I'm not sure I believe in God".]
I guess I'm a bit less reactionary. If God doesn't exist, I'm going to quit paying my tithing.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I guess I'm a bit less reactionary. If God doesn't exist, I'm going to quit paying my tithing.
Okay good, then you won't be added to my "people to watch out for" list. ;-) Whenever I hear from people, "Why be good without God?" or "Why not lie or cheat if there is no God?", I make a mental note to stay clear of that person. Why trust these people if a belief in God is the only thing keeping them from harming others?
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Okay good, then you won't be added to my "people to watch out for" list. ;-) Whenever I hear from people, "Why be good without God?" or "Why not lie or cheat if there is no God?", I make a mental note to stay clear of that person. Why trust these people if a belief in God is the only thing keeping them from harming others?
That's a little unfair. People who believe in god have a hard time comprehending what having no god would be like. We all need something to believe in, even SU. So if it isn't God, it would become somethig else (think of Aristotle on ethics, for example) . Few if any of htese poeple would go berserk, I am guessing, but they would feel pretty lost until the something else fills the void.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"If God doesn't exist, I would just want to kill myself."
I've heard that line before.

I think it's based on the premise that life sucks without the potential of a reward in the afterlife.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #16
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
That's a little unfair. People who believe in god have a hard time comprehending what having no god would be like. We all need something to believe in, even SU. So if it isn't God, it would become somethig else (think of Aristotle on ethics, for example) . Few if any of htese poeple would go berserk, I am guessing, but they would feel pretty lost until the something else fills the void.
The comment was really mostly TIC. It is just a sort of rhetorical turning of the tables on those who would make those assumptions about someone who doesn't believe in God. I would submit that believers and atheists cheat on their spouse, murder, steal and lie at approximately the same rate. It's not really about belief or non-belief, it is about how you view others, IMO.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I've heard that line before.

I think it's based on the premise that life sucks without the potential of a reward in the afterlife.
I've not heard the statement that I recall, but among reiligious people fixated on the hereafter and/or a covenant with God the stentiment is not irrational, for the reason noted by Sooner.

Actually, I once had a prominent CGer tell me in a boardmail that he didn't care whether there was a God or not; he was totally indifferent. It would not change him either way. It thought that was a good attitude, and a principled way to be an agnositic. (It seemed a given from the context of the staement that he didn't believe in LDS faith.) It was not CHC.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Actually, I once had a prominent CGer tell me in a boardmail that he didn't care whether there was a God or not; he was totally indifferent. It would not change him either way. It thought that was a good attitude, and a principled way to be an agnositic. (It seemed a given from the context of the staement that he didn't believe in LDS faith.) It was not CHC.
Was it Tex?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

If God doesn't exist there are going to be some pretty sad and dissapointed people. I imagine they will be really pissed off too.

That is if they are allowed a minute or two after death to realize they died and there is no after life. If they don't get that minute they will probably feel the same way the atheist will.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Actually, I once had a prominent CGer tell me in a boardmail that he didn't care whether there was a God or not; he was totally indifferent.
Some one is prominent?