cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I would take the group we have right now (especially if you include TEs) over the Utah County all-stars we had in 2002 and 2003. Wilkerson, Hale, Toby Christensen and David Christensen were not good at all. If those guys were here with the group of receivers we have now, Toby is the only one who would likely see the field.

Collie has been banged up. When healthy, he'll be fine. The biggest issue has been Hall's lack of ability to consistently stretch the field like Surfah says. When you know a team is only a threat to throw 10-15 yards, mostly with backs out of the backfield, it is a lot easier to defend.

Yesterday with the amount of balls that were dropped, that was pathetic, but a lot of the problems this year have been on Hall.
those were terrible years, we had kukahiko too, and he wasn't that impressive either.

Allen is a good route-running possession guy. I don't think he is a bad player. I don't think Reed is either.

But there is little to no depth, I wouldn't mind Bronco using one of the last scholarships on a JC wideout

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I've been hearing aboug Hafokas for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Ashworth--doesn't turn me on.

Jacobsen--legit, hope he comes back from mission in good form.

Collie--still big on him, he'll come through

Smith--I hear he's legit. Hope he doesn't go on mission.

Tervort/White--uh, no

Kozlowski--small and slow but runs good routes and has good hands, should contribute over the years but won't stretch any defense

Matthews--they say he's good but we'll see. Stellar white LDS WR's are few and far between. We've had one in 15 years--Cahoon--but he he didn't really do anything until the CFL. Collie and Jacobsen have the potential. Bryce Doman and Tyler Anderson were decent but not outstanding.
I am with you on Hafoka. I saw him play a bit and just wasn't as impressed as everyone made him out to be.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

The WR along with the Tight Ends definetly had a poor game yesterday, however I disagree that they stink collectively as a group.

In fact I like our WR more this year than last year.

I really don't think Anae is going to Collie enough and I'm not a big fan of the way he's utilizing Michael Reed either. Throwing those quick outs behind the line of scrimmage and hoping that your slowest starting WR just happens to make a juke move and get 5 yards is not a play that I'm a fan of...and yes I know the coaching staff considers those kind of plays running plays,,,,but nevertheless a team with decent defensive speed is going to snuff those out.

BYU ran the same play out of the same formation 12 times yesterday and it began to irritate me. It was like Anae was telling the players...that he didn't care who our opponent was,,,that he was going to treat the game as a practice and call the same play over and over until the players ran it right.

For now, I'm not a big fan of Anae's play calling. Yes,,,we need to keep utilizing Unga and I'm glad we are....but until he starts spreading the field again,,,we're gonna be one dimensional and easier for a team like say...oh Utah to defend.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
The WR along with the Tight Ends definetly had a poor game yesterday, however I disagree that they stink collectively as a group.

In fact I like our WR more this year than last year.

I really don't think Anae is going to Collie enough and I'm not a big fan of the way he's utilizing Michael Reed either. Throwing those quick outs behind the line of scrimmage and hoping that your slowest starting WR just happens to make a juke move and get 5 yards is not a play that I'm a fan of...and yes I know the coaching staff considers those kind of plays running plays,,,,but nevertheless a team with decent defensive speed is going to snuff those out.

BYU ran the same play out of the same formation 12 times yesterday and it began to irritate me. It was like Anae was telling the players...that he didn't care who our opponent was,,,that he was going to treat the game as a practice and call the same play over and over until the players ran it right.

For now, I'm not a big fan of Anae's play calling. Yes,,,we need to keep utilizing Unga and I'm glad we are....but until he starts spreading the field again,,,we're gonna be one dimensional and easier for a team like say...oh Utah to defend.
I couldn't agree more. What kills me too about this play is how slow Hall is to get out from under center and get the ball to the sideline. The one play where Reed was able to juke the DB, he was waiting all day for the ball.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Our WR would be looking better if the QB was seeing them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #16
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Our WR would be looking better if the QB was seeing them.
Hall had a lousy game

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote