cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Lawrence Borha looks like a completely different player under Boylen. Literally night and day. The difference is astounding.
If you want to know how important coaching is, look no further than Lawrence Borha.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, at least Boylen didn't RUTS. That's a good sign.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
Nevill made Brockman look like the best big in the P10 instead of about the 9th or 10th. That was a battle of two average teams, it wouldn't be surprising to see them meet again in the postseason NIT.

Why do Utah's uniforms say Utah on the front and back?
Nevill is soft and a bad defensive player. My hope is for Washburn to come in as a freshman and take a lot of his minutes. I'm not really going to be that disappointed when Nevill is gone. He has a ton of potential, but he just doesn't get it.

As for Washington, that team is a lot better than you are giving them credit for. If Washington was in the MWC they would roll to a conference title with little opposition. They are a middle of the pack pac-10 team, but considering the PAC-10 is the best hoops conference this year that is saying a lot.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Nevill is soft and a bad defensive player. My hope is for Washburn to come in as a freshman and take a lot of his minutes. I'm not really going to be that disappointed when Nevill is gone. He has a ton of potential, but he just doesn't get it.

As for Washington, that team is a lot better than you are giving them credit for. If Washington was in the MWC they would roll to a conference title with little opposition. They are a middle of the pack pac-10 team, but considering the PAC-10 is the best hoops conference this year that is saying a lot.

They were preseason 8th in the Pac-10 and I understand they are missing one of their better players. I don't think Washington would roll to a MWC title this year. I don't think they are better than BYU, and perhaps UNM. I think they would beat most of the other teams.

I think the Utes are in the top tier of the MWC but I still think BYU and UNM will finish higher, so far as certainly there is a lot of time for things to improve.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #15
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
MP, you're sounding an awful lot like a homer yourself, which really isn't that big of a deal.

Washington had it's hands full at home with a Utah team that won only 11 games last year and had really no significant talent addition, aside from a new coach. I don't see how that translates into Washington being a lock to roll to an MWC title with little opposition. Makes the Huskies look more like a middle of the pack MWC and lower echelon PAC-10 team.

It's so early that I don't see how anyone can make any definitive predictions, other than by looking at how teams faired last year.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 11-15-2007 at 03:47 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
They were preseason 8th in the Pac-10 and I understand they are missing one of their better players. I don't think Washington would roll to a MWC title this year. I don't think they are better than BYU, and perhaps UNM. I think they would beat most of the other teams.

I think the Utes are in the top tier of the MWC but I still think BYU and UNM will finish higher, so far as certainly there is a lot of time for things to improve.

I would expect Washington to finish higher than 8th in the Pac-10. Looking at the Pac-10 this year though these teams are without a doubt better than anyone in the MWC.

USC
UCLA
Arizona
Washington St
Stanford

I tend to agree with basketballprospectus take on Washington.

"
Washington's offense should be good enough to get them to the tournament, especially if the point-guard play improves. Some questions linger on the defense, which finished with an adjusted defensive efficiency ranking of 82, third-worst in the conference. Once again, the loss of Hawes shouldn't be obsessed over. Hawes was a respectable defensive rebounder, but only a so-so shot blocker, and generally not thought of as a defensive presence considering his size.
Appleby brings the typical baggage of a one-dimensional player in that he is a poor defender. Whoever is on the floor at the point, be it the 5-11 Dentmon or 6-0 freshman Venoy Overton, will be on the short side. UW's Achilles' heel was forcing turnovers; they ranked 309th in forcing steals and 273rd in forcing turnovers. A slightly more athletic front line and a more aggressive defense in general should cause that figure to improve, but there's little to suggest it will recover to 2006 levels, when Washington was 30th in the nation in forcing turnovers.
Washington has enough talent to get back to the NCAA Tournament after a one year absence. Perhaps more importantly is that there are no one-and-dones on this roster. This season may be a rebound year, but it could also set the stage for a 2009 run at a Pac-10 title."
http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...p?articleid=15

Pac-10 unless there is a complete disaster should send at least 6 teams to the dance and probably will deserve 7.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #17
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would expect Washington to finish higher than 8th in the Pac-10. Looking at the Pac-10 this year though these teams are without a doubt better than anyone in the MWC.

USC
UCLA
Arizona
Washington St
Stanford

I tend to agree with basketballprospectus take on Washington.

"
Washington's offense should be good enough to get them to the tournament, especially if the point-guard play improves. Some questions linger on the defense, which finished with an adjusted defensive efficiency ranking of 82, third-worst in the conference. Once again, the loss of Hawes shouldn't be obsessed over. Hawes was a respectable defensive rebounder, but only a so-so shot blocker, and generally not thought of as a defensive presence considering his size.
Appleby brings the typical baggage of a one-dimensional player in that he is a poor defender. Whoever is on the floor at the point, be it the 5-11 Dentmon or 6-0 freshman Venoy Overton, will be on the short side. UW's Achilles' heel was forcing turnovers; they ranked 309th in forcing steals and 273rd in forcing turnovers. A slightly more athletic front line and a more aggressive defense in general should cause that figure to improve, but there's little to suggest it will recover to 2006 levels, when Washington was 30th in the nation in forcing turnovers.
Washington has enough talent to get back to the NCAA Tournament after a one year absence. Perhaps more importantly is that there are no one-and-dones on this roster. This season may be a rebound year, but it could also set the stage for a 2009 run at a Pac-10 title."
http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...p?articleid=15

Pac-10 unless there is a complete disaster should send at least 6 teams to the dance and probably will deserve 7.
I thought Washington got a lot of help from the refs. I also think they are better than the 8th they have been predicted at in the Pac-10 but they aren't in the top four in the Pac. I thought Utah looked very solid and will be a part of the depth that the MWC will surprise everyone with this year. I expect the U to be a top 4 MWC team and I have hopes that we put 4 in the dance. Utah, BYU, UNLV, UNM.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #18
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
MP, you're sounding an awful lot like a homer yourself, which really isn't that big of a deal.

Washington had it's hands full at home with a Utah team that won only 11 games last year and had really no significant talent addition, aside from a new coach. I don't see how that translates into Washington being a lock to roll to an MWC title with little opposition. Makes the Huskies look more like a middle of the pack MWC and lower echelon PAC-10 team.

It's so early that I don't see how anyone can make any definitive predictions, other than by looking at how teams faired last year.
Utah at Washington didn't resemble Utah of last year.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #19
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I thought Washington got a lot of help from the refs. I also think they are better than the 8th they have been predicted at in the Pac-10 but they aren't in the top four in the Pac. I thought Utah looked very solid and will be a part of the depth that the MWC will surprise everyone with this year. I expect the U to be a top 4 MWC team and I have hopes that we put 4 in the dance. Utah, BYU, UNLV, UNM.
K-dog the MWC is not going to get more than 2 teams into the dance this year IMO. I do think Utah is a top 4 MWC club and maybee top 3. I don't think the Utes will be as good as UNM or BYU. Their lack of post depth will not as big an issue in conference play.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #20
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

USC
UCLA
Arizona
Washington St
Stanford
Oregon is better than USC and Washington State. Arizona is a giant question mark. Cal is better than Washington.

P10 will probably finish
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon
WSU
Arizona
USC
Cal
Washington
ASU
OSU

I disagree that Washington would roll through the MWC. They barley won a close game with some hometown officiating against a middle of the road MWC team. Hard to say they would roll based on that performance. But I do have to thank the Utes, you gave Washington fans reason to piss and moan all year when Brockman gets locked up by the bigs in the P10. I can hear it now "He was so awesome the first few games, what happened?"
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote