cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
IMO, Bronco is very much overrated by the majority of BYU fans, if "majority of BYU fans" = majority of CB.

I just thought I would get your opinion on the Patterson v Bronco discussion as you did type those words on CB sometime in '06, IIRC.
Like many, I was not thrilled with the Bronco hire.

I thought Crowton could have coached to the same record or better in 2005.

Remember that in Sept. 2006 before the TCU game, we had already lost two games. Also recall that Patterson had really made some noise with some major upsets against BCS opponents in the prior timeframe. Recall that TCU had come in the MWC in its first year and swept (IIRC).

Now in 2008, if I had to hire a coach between Patterson and Bronco, it would be a much tougher call.

I would in the end probably hire Patterson, based on him having more experience, and a longer track record, and having done so in a non-Mormon non-BYU environment (in other words how much of Bronco's success is in uniquely understanding the BYU environment, and does that translate into similar insights into a non-BYU environment?).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Like many, I was not thrilled with the Bronco hire.

I thought Crowton could have coached to the same record or better in 2005.

Remember that in Sept. 2006 before the TCU game, we had already lost two games. Also recall that Patterson had really made some noise with some major upsets against BCS opponents in the prior timeframe. Recall that TCU had come in the MWC in its first year and swept (IIRC).

Now in 2008, if I had to hire a coach between Patterson and Bronco, it would be a much tougher call.

I would in the end probably hire Patterson, based on him having more experience, and a longer track record, and having done so in a non-Mormon non-BYU environment (in other words how much of Bronco's success is in uniquely understanding the BYU environment, and does that translate into similar insights into a non-BYU environment?).
You would hire Patterson because you are an evangelical mormon hater. You don't think we give as much christian service as we should. You are a Huckabee lover and the Danites are gonna tack your ass to a wall someday.

You have been warned.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
You would hire Patterson because you are an evangelical mormon hater. You don't think we give as much christian service as we should. You are a Huckabee lover and the Danites are gonna tack your ass to a wall someday.

You have been warned.
If anyone has infiltrated the Danites, it is me. And I have the memory of an elephant.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 AM   #14
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike if Bronco underachieved in 2005 then you have to say that Patterson did this in 2007. They lost 5 games by less than a touchdown that is the sign of bad coaching. They were also preseason top 25 and the media darling to go undefeated this year. Remember BYU was picked to finish 3rd in the preseason polls this year. We lost 70% of our offense.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #15
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I have a friend who left Mormonism and now attends a Baptist church.

Maybe he was on to something. The simple appeal of community and Christian service. Despite all the false doctrine.
Don't let your testimony get in the way of your bitter discontent.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Mike if Bronco underachieved in 2005 then you have to say that Patterson did this in 2007. They lost 5 games by less than a touchdown that is the sign of bad coaching. They were also preseason top 25 and the media darling to go undefeated this year. Remember BYU was picked to finish 3rd in the preseason polls this year. We lost 70% of our offense.
TCU didn't end up with a competent QB. Although I understand Dalton was doing ok at the end of the season.

BYU on the other hand got solid play from its QB.

It can be argued that coaching is the reason that the QBs were different.