cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Rose sucks. I'm glad Abuou looks good. We'll need the help on the wings. If it frees Jimmer up we'll be golden.
I highly doubt Abuou sees any significant minutes as a true freshman. The kid is not yet ready for that level. I think BYU was the only D1 program in the state to show him any interest. He is athletic, but a huge project and would likely be a nightmare as a true freshman.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
bstod

bstod is on a distinguished road
Default Emery's twice as good defensively as Jimmer

I don't care what the steals number says. Ask Brandon Ewing who he'd rather play against! Jackson came up huge against Wyoming in 06. Jackson's more athletic than Jimmer, not as good of a shooter, a better team player, but doesn't have the ability to take the game over offensively like I see in Jimmer.

Jackson will help next year. If you look at next year's team, do you need another scorer? With Tav, Trent, and Lee on the floor with Lloyd or Morgan, you're going to need another defender. Burgess brings that this year, Reichner brought it, Fredette doesn't. Don't be surprised to see Jimmer start but Jackson finish most games because he can defend.

What I would like to see on next year's squad is start Jimmer, Jackson, Lee, JT and Plaisted. Jackson can guard the point on defense, and Jimmer is a sufficient ball handler. Bring Lloyd and Hartstock off the bench with Miles. I like the spark that Lloyd would give off of the bench.
bstod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:08 AM   #13
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstod View Post
I don't care what the steals number says. Ask Brandon Ewing who he'd rather play against! Jackson came up huge against Wyoming in 06. Jackson's more athletic than Jimmer, not as good of a shooter, a better team player, but doesn't have the ability to take the game over offensively like I see in Jimmer.

Jackson will help next year. If you look at next year's team, do you need another scorer? With Tav, Trent, and Lee on the floor with Lloyd or Morgan, you're going to need another defender. Burgess brings that this year, Reichner brought it, Fredette doesn't. Don't be surprised to see Jimmer start but Jackson finish most games because he can defend.

What I would like to see on next year's squad is start Jimmer, Jackson, Lee, JT and Plaisted. Jackson can guard the point on defense, and Jimmer is a sufficient ball handler. Bring Lloyd and Hartstock off the bench with Miles. I like the spark that Lloyd would give off of the bench.
I wouldn't be that hard on Jimmer for his defense. He plays pretty solid and stays in front of his guy most the time, but yes he is more offensive minded looking for steals to turn them into points.

I do share your same Idea of a line-up next year expecially if Jackson comes back well. He is a lock down defender and a good spot up shooter. Kinda like burges but a better defender. Then let Jimmer start at the point and give him some freedom to create. Then let mike Lloyd play 20 minutes or so a game at combo. I really think our back court would be most effective and deepest that way.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:16 AM   #14
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I highly doubt Abuou sees any significant minutes as a true freshman. The kid is not yet ready for that level. I think BYU was the only D1 program in the state to show him any interest. He is athletic, but a huge project and would likely be a nightmare as a true freshman.
I think the reason Abuou didn't get many looks from D-1 schools because he played 3A at logan. Jimmer went through kind of the same thing except he played for a pretty well known AAU team that got him some exposure. I do know that the prep school that he plays for in new hampshire this yearis a very good basketball school loaded with Mid to High Major D-1 athletes. He is 4th in scoring which is pretty good considering his company. I know this because the high scorer on the team is going to xavier and played with Jimmer on his AAU team. His name is Mark Lyons and I'm telling you this kid is probably the most athletic pg I have ever seen. The reason he is not going to NC or duke is because he is a head case. My point being Abuou is getting some experience playing at about as high a level possible in NH. I wouldn't be suprised if he came back and contributed some solid back up minutes for Lee next year.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote