cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't have sound at work, was she describing her own personality?
I think she was quoting from the V Monologues. Viera comes on later and apologizes to the views and says Jane apologizes also. I wonder if Jane took exception to that.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-15-2008 at 03:20 AM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

When did the word gain it's repulsiveness. I would never use the word because I know it is now thought of as being a really bad word. However, way, way back in when I was in high school it was the equivalent word used for calling a guy a dick. Dick hasn't become such a rotten word has it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

A term for the female genitals, and a highly insulting term (if you're American; many people in Britain and Austrailia actually use it among frends as a term of endearment).

"Pudenda" is used more often and concidered aomewhat less "value-laden", but it's often overlooked that "pudenda" comes from "pudendum", which means "shameful part"; many societies see the vulva as unclean and/or shameful, but there's nothing shameful about the female genitals. "C**t" is a native English word (and there aren't many of those) It goes back to an Old Germanic stem "kunton".

It may have arose by Grimm's law operating on the Proto-Indo-European root gen/gon = "create, become" seen in gonads, genital, gamete, genetics, gene, or the Proto-Indo-European root gwne/gune = "woman" seen in gynaecology. The prefix 'cu' is one of the oldest word-sounds in recorded language. It is an expression quintessentially associated with femininity, and is the basis of 'cow' ('female animal'), 'queen' ('female monarch'), and, of course, 'c**t' ('female genital'). The word's second most significant influence is the Latin term 'cuneus', meaning 'wedge', from which comes 'cunnus' ('vagina').

Sadly, this ancient word has been abused so much, and has been used against women very often.

This is for you language guys out there.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Jane Fonda knew exactly what she was doing. Her name was spoken yesterday about a million times more than it otherwise would have been. A media genius she is.

To the word cunt. When in undergrad working construction, I had a crewmate who was in his mid-50's and in an unhappy marriage. One day he referred to his wife as a foot. When I asked why, he responded that a foot is lower than a cunt. Surprisingly, they're still married.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #15
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

I've been using it for years as a term of endearment per the sage counsel of Elizabeth Hoffman, former President of the University of Colorado system.
landpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

The word was so inoffensive when I was in High School, we would call ZCMI and ask if the they would page one of the Hunt boys. Mike, York or Herc
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am more annoyed by the word "panties."

I have always hated that word. Just say "underwear" for crying out loud.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am more annoyed by the word "panties."

I have always hated that word. Just say "underwear" for crying out loud.
I am more annoyed that good looking women choose to wear them. There's another that's better, commando.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:41 AM   #19
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Hmm, this coming from a traitor.
When I saw the headling 'Jane Fonda apologizes' on cnn.com for the first time I thought that maybe she had finally seen the light and was apologizing for her asinine behaviour during the Vietnam war.

Silly me.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #20
Sassy in RS

Sassy in RS is on a distinguished road

She used the word as a proper noun. I wonder if the FCC will consider that when they consider the fine?
Sassy in RS is offline   Reply With Quote