cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
In elementary school, this is the one we would bust out:

Liar Liar
Face on fire
Now you look like Richard Pryor

I didnt realize then what it meant, nor did I appreciate how in tune our elementary school was with moderately-current events and pop culture.

Also, this was one of the few instances that I can remember Richard Pryor appearing sans Gene Wilder.
That is awesome.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #12
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Just based on that small snippet, I disagree and most of the existing literature disagrees. Research shows that children spontaneously lie, when convenient (and sometimes when not even convenient), at a very young age. Now manipulation requires a certain degree of cognitive development as it requires an understanding of the facts and skill to present them in a certain fashion. But plain old lying can be done, and often is, by a 2-year old.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:58 AM   #13
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
But plain old lying can be done, and often is, by a 2-year old.
Our 2-year-old, for example... The one smiling in my avatar.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #14
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Great article. Some of the comments were very interesting too. Definitely will think about how I interact with my kids.

There was a discussion on NPR the other day on this article. I only caught a short segment, but there was a caller who said that her mother once told her (picture really intimidating mean voice here) "You'll never lie to me, will you?"

Kind of a funny conundrum.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:47 AM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Just based on that small snippet, I disagree and most of the existing literature disagrees. Research shows that children spontaneously lie, when convenient (and sometimes when not even convenient), at a very young age. Now manipulation requires a certain degree of cognitive development as it requires an understanding of the facts and skill to present them in a certain fashion. But plain old lying can be done, and often is, by a 2-year old.
I think the point they were trying to make is that skillful and effective lying takes brains. Anybody can lie, but it takes some talent to make it convincing.

Did you read the entire article or just the snippets? I would be interested in your thoughts.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #16
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I see. I just read the snippets. I'll have to read the whole article.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote