cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
Hillary was caught exaggerating her 1996 trip to Bosnia, claiming that gunfire surrounded the landing, etc, etc. CBS brought it forward and it can be seen here:

I think it's more of a shame that, as the 1996 video shows, we sent Sinbad on a USO trip - do we care so little about our soldiers that we send Sinbad as entertainment? Couldn't we at least snag Arsenio Hall for that gig?
This really is exceptionally funny. Just goes to show how Hillary is not nearly as good as Bill at it.

She might've been able to wriggle out of it, had she just said "nearby sniper fire" and left it at that. It's the "running with our heads down" stuff that really killed her vis-a-vis this video.

I knew it was lie as soon as it left her lips--does anyone really think that the Secret Service would permit the First Lady and daughter to be brought into an area with open sniper fire, enough to force them to dodge it on their own? And that no one would remember such an instance?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I knew it was lie as soon as it left her lips
Now she says it was a "misspeak."

No, dear Hillary. A misspeak is when you slip and say condone when you meant to use condemn, or when you refer to Iran when you're talking about Iraq.

Constructing an entire fictionalized account, prepared in advance, clearly for political purpose - that's not misspeaking. That's distortion at best and deception at worst. And to think no one would notice? Surely her advisers can do better than this?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Now she says it was a "misspeak."

No, dear Hillary. A misspeak is when you slip and say condone when you meant to use condemn, or when you refer to Iran when you're talking about Iraq.

Constructing an entire fictionalized account, prepared in advance, clearly for political purpose - that's not misspeaking. That's distortion at best and deception at worst. And to think no one would notice? Surely her advisers can do better than this?
It will get worse for her before it gets better. Ireland still hasn't been thoroughly discussed re her contribution to the process.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

You all just hate white women, plain and simple. You're whitewomenophobic.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
What I found very appalling in the Paul Dunn thing was one of the brethern indicating that basically brother Dunn's lies had ultimately done a lot of good and he should be given some slack.
Isn't that the view of many here regarding the scriptures? It doesn't matter if it actually happened, it's still "true" because it teaches correct principles and draws us closer to God.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Isn't that the view of many here regarding the scriptures? It doesn't matter if it actually happened, it's still "true" because it teaches correct principles and draws us closer to God.
Heh. Nice one, Venk.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #17
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No I think there is a distinction there, in fairness. What I hear some here saying is that Joseph believed that he was receiving revelation and that to him it was true. Whether it literally and objectively was what he thought it was is beside the point. I think this is different than saying it was a deliberate deception albeit a noble one. Maybe someone is saying that but I don't think so.

Maybe someone who thinks this way can chime in and clarify.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
No I think there is a distinction there, in fairness. What I hear some here saying is that Joseph believed that he was receiving revelation and that to him it was true. Whether it literally and objectively was what he thought it was is beside the point. I think this is different than saying it was a deliberate deception albeit a noble one. Maybe someone is saying that but I don't think so.

Maybe someone who thinks this way can chime in and clarify.
Can't speak for Venkman, but I was thinking more of the justifications surrounding Biblical stories, such as Adam/Eve/creation, Noah/flood, Abraham/Isaac/sacrifice, or a myriad of other stories that some folks here say they disbelieve actually took place, but still find valuable lessons taught thereby.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #19
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You all just hate white women, plain and simple. You're whitewomenophobic.
What?!? How could you say that!! I have, like, tons of Caucasian female friends. I think I know what it is: You're really just attacking me because I'm a donklephant.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #20
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The difference to me is that if it isn't true, I think it isn't because of interpretation down through time. It isn't because someone intentionally lied.

If someone proved Moses lied about his parting of the sea, I then would no longer feel that to be a faith promoting story. Any stories in the Bible someone proves to me were intentional lies, those stories will no longer be part of my foundation of faith.

I have not only discounted brother Dunn's stories, but sadly it has cause me to look upon other stories told by brethern with some skepticism. That is sadly what the legacy is for me.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote