cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Absolutely not. It was a fantastic defensive battle, and ended in a fitting way: An unlikely defensive play.

It was two of the top defenses in the country, and both played damned well.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I still don't understand why people were not happy with the win or called us lucky.

That being said, I am glad I didn't go to the game.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I didn't particularly enjoy watching the game, and, after watching the last play a couple of times, I also deleted it from my DVR, without a regret.

Having said that, I have always considered it a win, and in no way feel bad about the game. We won.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #14
Spaz

Anytime you beat a once-ranked Pac-10 team with a top defense nationally, you should feel pretty pleased about the win, regardless of the circumstances.

I watched the game at my brother's house, with my family. My dad about gave himself a hernia on the last play of that game. There was a hell of a lot of cheering. And then, after the thirty minutes or so of euphoria, there was a little grumbling about how poorly the Offense played, along with some rather humorous predictions about the doom & gloom that would persist on the message boards. Quite accurate predictions.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
Spaz

That game is certainly not on the top of my want-to-watch-again list.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #16
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

As bad as UCLA's final record, they were, for a week or two, within reach of the PAC 10 title. they play in a particularly tough conference. However, didn't they biff one in SLC? Ouch.
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #17
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post
As bad as UCLA's final record, they were, for a week or two, within reach of the PAC 10 title. they play in a particularly tough conference. However, didn't they biff one in SLC? Ouch.
Their Offense was primarily responsible for their inconsistencies.

A few examples:

-UCLA @ Utah: 5 turnovers.
1: Int, Utah drive started @ Utah 39.
2: Fumble on a 51-yard pass play. Ball apparantly fumbled into the EZ, where UT recovered for a TB.
3: Int, drive started @ UCLA 37.
4: Int, drive started @ UCLA 7.
5: Fumble, drive started @ UCLA 45 (ended in punt).

-Notre Dame @ UCLA: 7 turnovers.

-UCLA @ USC: 2 turnovers.
1: Int, Drive started @ UCLA 43, TD.
2: Fumble, Drive started @ UCLA 36, TD.

I think it's safe to say that all three of these games would have been at least competitive with a competent offensive performance.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'm glad I went down. I had a good time and was in the end zone where the blocked field goal happened and it was fun being there.

Course I always prefer being there in person instead on T.V. no matter who we're playing or how the game turned out.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #19
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Great game, and a great ending. I don't know why you would think otherwise.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 AM   #20
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I thought after a few months had passed, I'd feel better about the Vegas Bowl vs. UCLA. I thought I'd forget the way their defensive line manhandled our O-line and blew up our running backs all day. I thought I'd forget about how it took a last-second miracle field-goal block to squeeze out a one-point victory.

But here it is, almost April, and I still look back on that game as a loss, for all intents and purposes.

Anyone else feel the same way?
There are going to be a lot of BYU fans on suicide watch when we go 10-2, 11-1 this year and go back to the Vegas Bowl.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote