cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Then why is it rated R? Do they cuss like Lingo on shore leave?

I have a copy and can't wait to watch it.

I re-watched "Last of the Mohicans" the other day with D.D. Lewis. Great movie.
DDL was great as Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York.

"This is a night for Americans!"

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That is always the case. It's the nature of the medium. But the cinematography in the movie was beautiful. And battle scenes were well done.
No, I mean it was a poor adaptation. The book could easily lend itself to a 6-hour movie. I don't expect that.

It just wasn't The Last of the Mohicans. Maybe I'm just being nit-picky, but it would've been better (to me) if they'd named the movie something else, and just put "inspired by Last of the Mohicans" in the credits.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:45 AM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
No, I mean it was a poor adaptation. The book could easily lend itself to a 6-hour movie. I don't expect that.

It just wasn't The Last of the Mohicans. Maybe I'm just being nit-picky, but it would've been better (to me) if they'd named the movie something else, and just put "inspired by Last of the Mohicans" in the credits.
Aha. I'll have to take your word for it as I haven't read the book.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 AM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
gives a truly masterful performance.

In a way, it is a very different movie. No action. No sex. Very little violence.

All character. To be able to pull off a 157 minute movie based on character is pretty remarkable in today's day and age, where audiences expect to be spoon-fed.

I mean, it's not even really plot driven. Nor is it a morality plan in the tradition of those films. It is about character.

I think the greatest two actors in mainstream films right now are Day-Lewis and Russell Crowe. It would be interesting to get these two actors in the same film. However Day-Lewis is really light-years ahead of any other actor right now.

Credit to Paul Thomas Anderson as well. Certainly among the most talented directors his generation, if not the most talented.
DDL was riveting. The father-son thing was very powerful. The preacher kid-DDL relationship was amazing culminating in the final scene which will go down as one of the best ever. Brilliant film.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 AM   #15
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
gives a truly masterful performance.

In a way, it is a very different movie. No action. No sex. Very little violence.

All character. To be able to pull off a 157 minute movie based on character is pretty remarkable in today's day and age, where audiences expect to be spoon-fed.

I mean, it's not even really plot driven. Nor is it a morality plan in the tradition of those films. It is about character.

I think the greatest two actors in mainstream films right now are Day-Lewis and Russell Crowe. It would be interesting to get these two actors in the same film. However Day-Lewis is really light-years ahead of any other actor right now.

Credit to Paul Thomas Anderson as well. Certainly among the most talented directors his generation, if not the most talented.
I agree with all of that, and would add Philip Seymour Hoffman to that list.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 AM   #16
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

My geologist co-worker thought the movie sucked. He couldn't get past the impossibility of finding oil in a hard-rock mining claim. Or, in the alternative, that there could be a geologist who was so incompetent/stupid as to be prospecting for silver in an oil region.

I, on the other hand, am not a scientist and thus can look past the improbable and see the possibilities.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I agree with all of that, and would add Philip Seymour Hoffman to that list.
PSH stole the show in Charlie Wilson's War.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
DDL was great as Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York.

"This is a night for Americans!"
Oh yeah. Forgot about that one.

One more thing about The Last of the Mohicans, that Magua character is one of the meanest baddasses is cinema history. And he has such a great line:

"Know this, Grayhair. After you die my knife shall turn upon the throats of your children, thus removing your seed from the earth forever."

I like to repeat that one when I am about to gut a deer.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 AM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Oh yeah. Forgot about that one.

One more thing about The Last of the Mohicans, that Magua character is one of the meanest baddasses is cinema history. And he has such a great line:

"Know this, Grayhair. After you die my knife shall turn upon the throats of your children, thus removing your seed from the earth forever."

I like to repeat that one when I am about to gut a deer.
Goatnapper would probably say that too if he ever had the chance to gut a deer.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote