cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 04:20 AM   #11
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

My definition of Mormon feminist would be an LDS woman who recognizes that she is not treated equally, and that she has almost no meaningful voice in Church dealings. She would be motivated to share these views, even if it means sharing them in subtle ways that wouldn't jeopardize her membership in the Church.

This "Mormon feminist" would at least have the courage to express her feelings during discussions with friends and family, and maybe a few select members of the Church. She would have to bite her tongue in Church, since she would be excommunicated if she shared these views at Church meetings. She would have no fear about sharing her views online.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:27 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
My definition of Mormon feminist would be an LDS woman who recognizes that she is not treated equally, and that she has almost no meaningful voice in Church dealings. She would be motivated to share these views, even if it means sharing them in subtle ways that wouldn't jeopardize her membership in the Church.

This "Mormon feminist" would at least have the courage to express her feelings during discussions with friends and family, and maybe a few select members of the Church. She would have to bite her tongue in Church, since she would be excommunicated if she shared these views at Church meetings. She would have no fear about sharing her views online.
There are a fair share of those women, and those women I respect. Or would if they would speak up.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #13
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This is like asking, "Why aren't there more pro-choice republicans?" If you're a woman and you reject the patriarchal structure of the Church, you're probably not going to stick around the Church long enough to be a feminist Mormon. It's not like the Church goes out of its way to embrace divergent thought. Those who do not conform are marginalized and ultimately lost.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I don't agree that there are no feminists in the church. I do agree, however, that it is very difficult for them to have or find a voice because there are no meaningful leadership roles for women within the patriarchial system.

There are as many different definitions for feminism as there are feminists, I would say. And I don't think it's at all a common title for women to take upon themselves when they are active in the church. But many would, nevertheless. This fact does not necessarily make them prime for excommunication. You don't have to directly criticize the bretheren to believe that the church discriminates. I don't even see how anyone would be able to say the church doesn't discriminate. (Hello? separate but equal is not equal)

I used to think women were the problem. That more women don't care more, want to change, embrace the power that is within them, etc.

Then, I came here, and I have to say the level of misogyny can be palpable.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I don't agree that there are no feminists in the church. I do agree, however, that it is very difficult for them to have or find a voice because there are no meaningful leadership roles for women within the patriarchial system.

There are as many different definitions for feminism as there are feminists, I would say. And I don't think it's at all a common title for women to take upon themselves when they are active in the church. But many would, nevertheless. This fact does not necessarily make them prime for excommunication. You don't have to directly criticize the bretheren to believe that the church discriminates. I don't even see how anyone would be able to say the church doesn't discriminate. (Hello? separate but equal is not equal)

I used to think women were the problem. That more women don't care more, want to change, embrace the power that is within them, etc.

I don't want to take time to look it up. What is misogyny and can I still do it at my age?
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't want to take time to look it up. What is misogyny and can I still do it at my age?
In a nutshell, a hatred of women.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I agree with much of what you are saying. That women hegemonically internalize their subordinate status is not surprising.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #18
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default She isn't treated equally? How?

Quote:

No meaninful voice? Name one other organization in the world that tries to aid those in need and suffering than the Relief Society. Does your wife consider herself a feminist?

Last edited by exUte; 04-28-2008 at 05:35 PM.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Hillary is NOT a symbol for all women.

Just because we dislike her immensely means we dislike women?

We like Babs, Farrah, Mrs. Funk, SARS, Marsupial, mindful, even you, but to judge us for some our great distaste for Hillary is inaccurate.

There are aspects of the culture within Mormon culture as it affects women that we dislike. Personally I prefer women from outside our culture, or the more, not politically speaking, but culturally liberal and professional women. Frankly, misandry is much more prevalent than misogyny. For the most part men respect women and desire their company. For a large part, women detest men except to fleece them.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-28-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #20
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are as many different definitions for feminism as there are feminists, I would say. And I don't think it's at all a common title for women to take upon themselves when they are active in the church.
I agree. How do you define feminism? I believe in many ideals that would probably be considered feminist, particularly in the Church, but it's all relative. Julie Beck would probably consider me a feminist, Betty Friedan probably not.