cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I can't see encouraging tormenting somebody with an issue which will not likely change.

An adulterer may be guilted into changing and repenting of his actions. If the science that most gays are that way by genetic consequence, you won't "guilt" them into change. That's a big difference to me.

What peace does Church bring to those who can't buy into the majority of the picture? To me, that would be torment. There are plenty of other pursuits with which to concern oneself and the religious aspect can be replaced.

For Mormons who are wont to believe that "salvation" and "exaltation" is achieved only through the confines of the Church, there may be a psychological disconnect. But it appears in analyzing the gay factor, there must be other ways outside of that structure to deal with people who can't fit in. Don't ask me what they are, but asking people to remain celibate doesn't appear to be the correct answer.
I assumed he was going to church of his own free will and was continuing to attend because he was getting something out of it. That he is openly gay and still attending is commendable. That's courage I can admire, though I wouldn't fault any gay or lesbian for leaving the church.

ERCoug, I'm curious, how is he treated by other members? How does he fit into the ward?
Old 07-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I assumed he was going to church of his own free will and was continuing to attend because he was getting something out of it. That he is openly gay and still attending is commendable. That's courage I can admire, though I wouldn't fault any gay or lesbian for leaving the church.

ERCoug, I'm curious, how is he treated by other members? How does he fit into the ward?
I would find no solace in attending but far be it from me to dictate what another does in that situation.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:45 AM   #13
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post

I don't really know him well enough to get into that discussion with him; he's a very good friend of my wife's and I see him from time to time through her. From what I hear, he is out of the closet in SLC but out of respect for his parents, he keeps things discreet here in his hometown (where things can be a little backwards). In the words of another friend, he apparently loves the Gospel, loves going to church, and feels like this is the one area in which he falls short. I doubt he brings his SO to church. I'm not sure if his SO is mormon.

My SIL, who is also friends with him, says she feels bad that he has come out. I asked her why and she said "it's not a happy life". I told her that I'm not sure that staying in the closet is a happy life either. I don't know what to think about that--if "wickedness never was happiness" and active homosexuality is wickedness, why do so many seem so much happier and more fulfilled once they come out? Although I don't know him well, he does seem to be one of the more kind and self-assured people that I know.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
From what I hear, he is out of the closet in SLC but out of respect for his parents, he keeps things discreet here in his hometown (where things can be a little backwards).
The shame of the parents runs very deep. Sometimes long after the gay child has moved on, the parents still can't.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote