cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
So what happened? I don't get it. I mean, I can understand deciding to begrudgingly support the lesser of two evils. But to go from outright antipathy to defending the guy to the gates of hell; to being unable to concede a single weakness of the man...I'm just confused.
You are exaggerating the feelings of most towards McCain. A year ago most people thought he was dead in the water and he was largely ignored. The harshest statements against McCain were made in the heat of the primaries when he was being unfair towards our beloved Mitt. Those wounds have been healed, despite your insistence on reopening them.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
You are exaggerating the feelings of most towards McCain. A year ago most people thought he was dead in the water and he was largely ignored. The harshest statements against McCain were made in the heat of the primaries when he was being unfair towards our beloved Mitt. Those wounds have been healed, despite your insistence on reopening them.
Well, I won't argue the details or offer salt as you lick your wounds, but the passion with which I see posters defend McCain is something I don't understand; to me it's no different than the Obama kool-aid-ers.

For the record, I've been pushing your beloved Mitt for VP for months, and I seriously think if he gets the nod he'll end up president.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, I won't argue the details or offer salt as you lick your wounds, but the passion with which I see posters defend McCain is something I don't understand; to me it's no different than the Obama kool-aid-ers.
That's really easy to explain - the more we learn about Obama, the better McCain sounds. These are the final two and we have to go with whichever sucks the least.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That's really easy to explain - the more we learn about Obama, the better McCain sounds. These are the final two and we have to go with whichever sucks the least.
yeah, I already said that. But when you choose the lesser of two evils one would think you'd still be willing to concede the evil of the chosen.

Somebody tried to explain it to me like this:

Your team's star pitcher gets injured mid-season. You're screwed without him. So a deal is worked out, and you get the pitcher from your rival's team. Now, you hated the guy last week and found all kindsa ways to argue how sucky he was. But now that he's wearing your colors, by golly if he ain't the best pitcher you've ever seen, and he's going to save the season for sure.

I'm not a baseball fan, but I guess that sounds about right.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
yeah, I already said that. But when you choose the lesser of two evils one would think you'd still be willing to concede the evil of the chosen.

Somebody tried to explain it to me like this:

Your team's star pitcher gets injured mid-season. You're screwed without him. So a deal is worked out, and you get the pitcher from your rival's team. Now, you hated the guy last week and found all kindsa ways to argue how sucky he was. But now that he's wearing your colors, by golly if he ain't the best pitcher you've ever seen, and he's going to save the season for sure.

I'm not a baseball fan, but I guess that sounds about right.
That's pretty accurate. If he's on my team, he's ok.

Now, if you want a sports analogy that you might understand a bit better, let's say that if strange things happen and Mrs. Clinton gets the Dem nod Obama were to declare himself a Republican so he could have a shot at the White House, that would be like Kobe Bryant signing a free agent contract with the Jazz. If that happened, I would never root for the Jazz until Kobe was gone.

And I wouldn't vote for either.

For the record, I don't deny that there are things about McCain that I don't like, but for me, he's still a much better choice for POTUS than Obama.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hyperbole thy name is Barbara Gordon. Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I'm really not seeing the sudden glorification of the great Senator and American hero former POW John McCain. Even Tex prefaces everything he says with, "I'm not a big McCain fan." But if you just want everybody here to say that you and Mike were correct a year ago, then hey, to quote Indy, "LINK?"
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Hyperbole thy name is Barbara Gordon. Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I'm really not seeing the sudden glorification of the great Senator and American hero former POW John McCain. Even Tex prefaces everything he says with, "I'm not a big McCain fan." But if you just want everybody here to say that you and Mike were correct a year ago, then hey, to quote Indy, "LINK?"
Hyperbole? Go back and check some of the posts.

I see it just the nature of the two parties, where as Babs pointed out, once the sides are picked you rally around your guys.

McCain still doesn't get my blood rolling but Obama impacts me personally in a negative fashion, so I must go with the lesser of two evils.

We're typically very Republican here.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 AM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Obama is a good man. Good men don't become president. McCain is a true devil.

Devils become president.

The USA will pay in blood for the choice of McCain, but guess what--Americans are happy to pay that price. It makes them feel good about themselves.

You will get A LOT of people on this site pose McCain as God's torch bearer but they are full of shit.
Will you believe me if I say I doubt God has anything to do with it?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Obama is a good man.
Does a good man vote against a bill to protect a fetus that survives an abortion? Does a good man for 20 years sit in a pew in a church with a pastor that spews hatred and bigotry? Does a good man turn to a radical terrorist to get started in a career in politics?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 AM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Does a good man vote against a bill to protect a fetus that survives an abortion? Does a good man for 20 years sit in a pew in a church with a pastor that spews hatred and bigotry? Does a good man turn to a radical terrorist to get started in a career in politics?
Man, Paddy Mike can catch and release you any time he wishes.

Mike knows we're mostly Republican leaners at least and hacks at worst, so all he must do is accuse our side of being bad and the other side as being good, and watch the free for all.

the facts are muddied by the fact the candidates allow us to see as much as possible what we wish to see.

McCain who will receive my reluctant vote, dumped his first wife once he realized she was damaged goods, and was part of the party circuit, but once he realized he couldn't make as an Admiral with all his connections, jumped to politics thanks to many monetary connections of his new spouse. He's an opportunist.

Obama has come from diverse roots which are appealing now, and gives a speech that appeals to large numbers of people. Whether he's bad or good is irrelevant and Mike is either trolling, my guess, or hopelessly naive. You don't get good men running for President. Those days are past. If they ever were.

You may see some complex personalities, and Obama has some complexities, trying to be a populist while using his stardom to become rich and famous. He'll espouse policies popular with the poor and appeal to the left of his party. What remains to be see is if he can be pragmatic. In that we just don't know, his record is too short. He's appealing during a speech but Spocklike during an interview. I wager he'll win but the Dems have been known to blow a few. The Reps are going to get laughed out of Congress because we have lost our souls and our identities.