cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Went to the Radiohead show last night at the Hollywood Bowl. Really good setlist. I am posting this for those who enjoy the band (esp Archaea). I like to make a playlist of each show I attend so I can listen to them later on my ipod.

I am going with my wife tomorrow night in SD, so should be another fun evening.

1. Reckoner
2. Optimistic
3. There There
4. 15 Step
5. All I Need
6. Pyramid Song
7. Weird Fishes
8. The Gloaming
9. Videotape
10. Talk Show Host
11. Faust Arp
12. Tell Me Why? (Neil Young cover)
13. No Surprises
14. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
15. The Bends
16. The National Anthem
17. Big Ideas (Don't Get Any)
18. Bodysnatchers

Encore 1

19. House of Cards
20. Planet Telex
21. Go Slowly
22. Fake Plastic Trees
23. True Love Waits
24. Everything in it's Right Place

Encore 2

25. Cymbal Rush (from Thom's solo disc, The Eraser)
26. Karma Police
27. Idioteque
Most of the shows that I go to I couldn't create a setlist if I wanted to. I tend not to remember the names of songs on albums. I love Medeski, Martin, and Wood and can recognize songs but rarely do I remember the names of the songs. MMW needs to come to Utah again.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Most of the shows that I go to I couldn't create a setlist if I wanted to. I tend not to remember the names of songs on albums. I love Medeski, Martin, and Wood and can recognize songs but rarely do I remember the names of the songs. MMW needs to come to Utah again.
I can barely remember any tunes I got stoned at, so I'm with you bro.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I type out the setlist on my blackberry during the show. takes a few seconds at the beginning of each song.

if you are unfamiliar with the music, then it would be next to impossible. Also, in cases you reference, like Jazz or electronica, it would also be tough.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I can barely remember any tunes I got stoned at, so I'm with you bro.
If you went to a Led Zeppelin show, you could not identify the names of the songs being played? What kind of fan are you? I dont believe that.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If you went to a Led Zeppelin show, you could not identify the names of the songs being played? What kind of fan are you? I dont believe that.
I can identify them and Rolling Stones, and some of Radiohead, but really I just put the recorded songs on the IPOD and play.

Creep is easy to identify, Talk Show Host, Tell Me Why are a few I remember, but I looked at the list and was ashamed I didn't know them all. I like their energy. The dark ambiance is important. What exactly is a "setlist"? I haven't been to a concert since the 80s, so I have no idea what that means.

Riding along in the dark, Radiohead keeps you thinking. Again don't ask me why this stuff works. If you have a music degree you might be able to tell me.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I can identify them and Rolling Stones, and some of Radiohead, but really I just put the recorded songs on the IPOD and play.

Creep is easy to identify, Talk Show Host, Tell Me Why are a few I remember, but I looked at the list and was ashamed I didn't know them all. I like their energy. The dark ambiance is important. What exactly is a "setlist"? I haven't been to a concert since the 80s, so I have no idea what that means.

Riding along in the dark, Radiohead keeps you thinking. Again don't ask me why this stuff works. If you have a music degree you might be able to tell me.
I lay no claim to music theory, composition, etc..I love listening to music and reading lyrics, learning simple songs on the guitar, etc...

Talk Show Host may be known by some because it was part of the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack from the 90s Baz Luhrmann version with Leo and Claire Daines. A bit of simple radiohead trivia....the song on OK Computer...Exit Music (For a Film)....is also from that movie. That is the film for which the song was scored.

Another bit of radiohead trivia....if you own the CD of OK Computer, you can open up the booklet insert and there is a collage of pics....one of the pics is the Christus Statue from the SLC Temple visitors center.

Tell Me Why? is a Neil Young tune, but somewhat popular, so I think many would know it. radiohead's version was pretty nice.

A setlist......the sequence of songs the band performs on any given night is a "set." The set list is a written reminder of what those songs will be that night.

Basically, when a band performs a show, they head over to the venue earlier in the day to do a soundcheck. They soundcheck a few songs to determine acoustics, tune instruments, work out issues with the mixing board and lights, etc.. The roadies will tape the "set list" for that night's show somewhere visible for each band member. It is basically a piece of paper that has every song that is being played that night in the appropriate order. Most bands mix things up during their tour and try to not play the exact same sequence of songs every night...they get bored, too. I have seen set lists that even include that tuning for the guitarist for each song (this is rare, though).

Bands will usually determine what their pool of songs will be before they even head out on tour, then rehearse them, and play selected ones each night of the tour.

If you go to a show, next time wait a few minutes after the house lights come up at the end...you will see lots of people head toward the stage as the roadies take down the gear. These people are often asking for the actual setlists that were taped to the ground for that night;s show. They are a fun keepsake to have.

I would expect the setlist for tomorrow night's show in SD to be somewhat different that last night's setlist in Hollywood. There will be many similarities, but radiohead will often play about 5-7 or so different songs each night that were not played the night before. Also, the sequencing of the songs may vary. Sometimes they open with 15 Step. Sometimes they open with Reckoner. Sometimes they open with All I Need. Just depends on their mood, I guess.

Here is a clip of Tell Me Why?, already uploaded from last night's show. Not great quality, but you get an idea.

PS I am not interested in someone with a music degree explaining to me why we all love music. Some things should not be academic. Music is about feeling. I dont want to read someone's paper on why I like the music I like.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
Archaea

Thank you for explaining that.

I don't want a person with an advanced degree in music to explain whether I should like something or not, but I do appreciate their insights into what an artist may be saying and why that artist used a seventh, or some weird key.

What is unusual to me is that the band has planned two encores. Silly me thinking that encores were spontaneous expressions of appreciation of the band for the public.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Thank you for explaining that.

I don't want a person with an advanced degree in music to explain whether I should like something or not, but I do appreciate their insights into what an artist may be saying and why that artist used a seventh, or some weird key.

What is unusual to me is that the band has planned two encores. Silly me thinking that encores were spontaneous expressions of appreciation of the band for the public.
Encores are simply a part of the deal. When you go to a play, it is the same thing....they always come back out for a second bow.

I think the crowd can affect the length of the encore....maybe by a few songs.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Radiohead huh? Are they new? I'll give them a listen.
I honestly did not recognize any of those songs by name. Perhaps if I heard them I'd recognize it, but I doubt it. I quit listening to music on the radio when grunge took over the airways.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote