cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

So I changed my plans on the fly at the last moment. The opening hymn was about loving neighbors and taking care of those in need, so I went with the "beggars" stuff from Mosiah 4.

I think it went well as many people were chatting me up after.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
So I changed my plans on the fly at the last moment. The opening hymn was about loving neighbors and taking care of those in need, so I went with the "beggars" stuff from Mosiah 4.

I think it went well as many people were chatting me up after.
Another of my favorite principles from the BOM. For what it's worth, I liked your original idea too. We need to get involved in more things like this. Nice job.

What exactly was this, and how did you get involved?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Another of my favorite principles from the BOM. For what it's worth, I liked your original idea too. We need to get involved in more things like this. Nice job.

There is a nice group that does things like this MWTGTLOU.

That's a long acronym that stands for Mormons With The Guts To Live Outside Utah. My understanding, by current bylaws, if you live in Utah, you can't join.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

That's a long acronym that stands for Mormons With The Guts To Live Outside Utah. My understanding, by current bylaws, if you live in Utah, you can't join.
That's too bad because there's this Jew I heard of somewhere in the state that I would like to read BOM scriptures to.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
That's too bad because there's this Jew I heard of somewhere in the state that I would like to read BOM scriptures to.
Jesus is no longer a Jew.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #16
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

A local university is hosting a retreat for peace and they wanted to have a religious angle as one of the activities. I'd guess more than a hundred people were there for the part I participated in.

I have somehow become the "go to" person in the local Mormon community for this kind of thing. I sometimes will visit one of the local churches, I did an informative presentation on the Church at a local library, and I've had a radio show (and will be back on the air again shortly). I'm fairly high profile, I guess.

Next month my own school is having a "faith week" and I've already been tapped to give a presentation on Mormonism.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #17
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
A local university is hosting a retreat for peace and they wanted to have a religious angle as one of the activities. I'd guess more than a hundred people were there for the part I participated in.

I have somehow become the "go to" person in the local Mormon community for this kind of thing. I sometimes will visit one of the local churches, I did an informative presentation on the Church at a local library, and I've had a radio show (and will be back on the air again shortly). I'm fairly high profile, I guess.

Next month my own school is having a "faith week" and I've already been tapped to give a presentation on Mormonism.
That's really cool. Given the theme of the retreat, your scripture selection makes a lot of sense. I wish I had done more of this kind of stuff before moving to Utah. Maybe I can do a radio show on Mormonism here...
Old 09-25-2008, 02:22 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Mike, this is just sad. You've lost it completely. Prescribe yourself some self-esteem and try to be happy.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Mike, this is just sad. You've lost it completely. Prescribe yourself some self-esteem and try to be happy.
FM should start a chapter in SLC. Except he would have to stick an F in front for "former."

Oh please, you Utah Mormons come over here and think you know everything and that the church is backwards, and that are kids are going to hell. We get to take a shot now and then.