cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The beauty (or curse) of continuing revelation is that, essentially, nothing is inviolate. Even such topics as whether the God of the Old Testament is Jesus. Or whether Adam is God.

The next revelatory prophet in the church will be an artist of some kind.
So what change are you looking for?
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know. That's up to the Great Admin in the Sky.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't know. That's up to the Great Admin in the Sky.
I'm trying to pinpoint exactly what policy you think is going to change. Obviously you disagree with something the First Pres is doing.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I can imagine that. I just can't imagine a doctrinal change that accommodates gays. What you are taking about almost doesn't matter because gay marriage is here to stay and however you feel about the church's efforts it is like the little dutch boy with its finger in the damn. That is a war we lose in the not distant future. I'm more concerned in the long run about what we do with gays. There may be no answer to that one, but I hope there is.
I can think of no doctrinal accommodations that a fundamentalist type church, like ours, can make. It's a dead end.

However, a friend and I were wondering if the next great cycle of debates occur in 2010, if the Church sits it out. If gay marriage advocates rally next time, I don't see the normalize views on marriage.

But I have a significant point of disagreement, because all political legislation has as a point of origin, economics at its root, not morality.

In marriage, churches cooperated with government so that the franchise of marriage would be controlled by government through the churches. Before government and churches got together, the frontier people were engaging in common law marriages because pastors weren't readily available. But the churches wanted the control, so they pulled society and government into the mix.

Thus religious control is about money, and gays want to be part of the controlling entities.

It's always been significantly about control and money.

When you see a political problem, follow the money trail.