cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Yes, I did. I think invoking the Great Depression is the stuff drama queens are made of, besides being a massive insult to those who lived through the real thing.

And no, I don't think both parties are the same in ways that matter. Yes, they both like to spend (though I think the Dems like it more). I have a hunch that if your precious Libertarians got into power for a few years, they'd do the same. That's not unique to party ... it's endemic to humanity.
Libertarians don't get into power because they don't change their philosophy every so many years like Republicans do. Principles are great to have but they don't get you elected or keep you in power. This massive bailout that was pushed by Bush, McCain and Palin in which they invoked such hyperbole about great depressions would make Reagan turn in his grave. What's "conservative" today is not anything like what Barry Goldwater would view as conservative.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Libertarians don't get into power because they don't change their philosophy every so many years like Republicans do. Principles are great to have but they don't get you elected or keep you in power. This massive bailout that was pushed by Bush, McCain and Palin in which they invoked such hyperbole about great depressions would make Reagan turn in his grave. What's "conservative" today is not anything like what Barry Goldwater would view as conservative.
Libertarians don't get into power because they can't convince enough people to think like they do.

But I'm not interested in retreading this topic yet again. This thread is meant to bag on the Trillion Dollar Obama Pork Package, and boy does it deserve it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #13
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you seen the spreadsheet on Read the Stimulus? It does a good job at breaking down the spending. It's a joke - even for those who see a need for fiscal policy.

Half of the spending is for social programs. They may be worthy of funding, but that's the purpose of the general budget. None of them are simulative. It's full of vaccinations, lead hazard reduction, education programs, student financial aid, etc.

http://readthestimulus.org/
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Have you seen the spreadsheet on Read the Stimulus? It does a good job at breaking down the spending. It's a joke - even for those who see a need for fiscal policy.

Half of the spending is for social programs. They may be worthy of funding, but that's the purpose of the general budget. None of them are simulative. It's full of vaccinations, lead hazard reduction, education programs, student financial aid, etc.

http://readthestimulus.org/
Sorry to make others do my research, but is there somewhere that lists the individual vote breakdown?

I can't seem to find it.
________
MissLYUBA

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:55 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAzzuri View Post
Sorry to make others do my research, but is there somewhere that lists the individual vote breakdown?

I can't seem to find it.
All Republicans voted against, all but 11 Democrats voted in favor.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll046.xml

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote