cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
In other words, no you haven't read it, and no you didn't know that was the basis of their ruling.

Thanks for your insight.
Doesn't change the fact that it's judicial tyranny. You're just deflecting.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Doesn't change the fact that it's judicial tyranny. You're just deflecting.
No, Tex, it establishes that you don't have a clue whether or not it is judicial tyranny. Nothing in your hyperbole establishes a "fact" of anything other than you don't know what you are talking about.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Cali, since you're implying you know what you're talking about, would you care to share what constitutional basis the Iowa judiciary had?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well Cali, since you're implying you know what you're talking about, would you care to share what constitutional basis the Iowa judiciary had?
I didn't imply I know what I am talking about with respect to the Iowa Constitution, which is why I haven't opined one way or the other. What I can say with 100% certainty is that Tex is totally unaware of any substantive foundation for his claim that what the Iowa court did was "judicial tyranny."
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Tex

I've not read the Iowa Constitution nor the actual full text of the ruling, and I don't think one has to in order to form a legitimate opinion. This is yet another completely irrelevant Cali Coug distraction.

What I have read are news articles discussing the ruling, and commentary by court watchers whose opinion and expertise I trust. But even then, it doesn't take a great deal of expertise to see that there is no right to gay marriage written into the Iowa Constitution. The Iowa justices had to make it up as they went, citing their equal protection clause ... which coincidentally is probably one of the most abused clauses of our own US Constitution.

This was judicial activism. There is no other name for it.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #16
Cali Coug

Quote:
I've not read the Iowa Constitution nor the actual full text of the ruling, and I don't think one has to in order to form a legitimate opinion. This is yet another completely irrelevant Cali Coug distraction.

What I have read are news articles discussing the ruling, and commentary by court watchers whose opinion and expertise I trust. But even then, it doesn't take a great deal of expertise to see that there is no right to gay marriage written into the Iowa Constitution. The Iowa justices had to make it up as they went, citing their equal protection clause ... which coincidentally is probably one of the most abused clauses of our own US Constitution.

This was judicial activism. There is no other name for it.
Tex- you simply have no idea what the Iowa Constitution says. You have no basis for knowing how Iowa has determined its constitutional provisions should apply. You don't know any of the history of the adoption of their Constitution, nor do you know anything regarding cases interpreting it. And yet, here you are telling all of us that what Iowa did was TYRANNY! JUDICIAL TYRANNY! Whatever. You sound like Glen Beck more and more often.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Tex- you simply have no idea what the Iowa Constitution says. You have no basis for knowing how Iowa has determined its constitutional provisions should apply. You don't know any of the history of the adoption of their Constitution, nor do you know anything regarding cases interpreting it. And yet, here you are telling all of us that what Iowa did was TYRANNY! JUDICIAL TYRANNY! Whatever. You sound like Glen Beck more and more often.
Nonsense. I reject this ridiculous notion that one most possess intimate knowledge of Iowan constitutional history and case law to form a valid opinion on this ruling.

This is governmental abuse of power. It's anti-democratic. It's seven judges inserting their own policy preferences into the law by fiat. Laws like this should be passed by the people, not illegitimately interpreted into a text by an unelected judiciary.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Scalia continues to be proven right. If you can't convince your fellow man, just convince a few judges. Minority rule.

Iowa Supreme Court unanimously legalizes gay marriage in Iowa.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art.../NEWS/90403010
This quote from one of the judges was interesting:

Quote:
“We are firmly convinced that the exclusion of gay and lesbian people from the institution of civil marriage does not substantially further any important governmental objective,” the court said in an opinion written by Justice Mark Cady. “The legislature has excluded a historically disfavored class of persons from a supremely important civil institution without a constitutionally sufficient justification.”
Is it written in the Iowa Constitution that anyone - straight or gay - has a right to marry? If not, how can he claim insufficient constitutional justification.

Archaea? You're opinion is one that I respect. Perhaps you could explain this to a non-lawyer.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #19
Cali Coug

Quote:
Nonsense. I reject this ridiculous notion that one most possess intimate knowledge of Iowan constitutional history and case law to form a valid opinion on this ruling.

This is governmental abuse of power. It's anti-democratic. It's seven judges inserting their own policy preferences into the law by fiat. Laws like this should be passed by the people, not illegitimately interpreted into a text by an unelected judiciary.
"Intimate" knowledge? How about ANY knowledge? You have no idea what the text even says. You simply hear "equal protection clause" and assume it MUST be just like the US Constitutional counterpart, and the justices MUST have totally misconstrued the provision. TYRANNY! Shout away, Glen Beck. It is so much easier than actually learning something so you can have an informed opinion.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #20
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
This quote from one of the judges was interesting:

Is it written in the Iowa Constitution that anyone - straight or gay - has a right to marry? If not, how can he claim insufficient constitutional justification.

Archaea? You're opinion is one that I respect. Perhaps you could explain this to a non-lawyer.
And Il Pad shows himself to be more open to reason and learning than Tex. I guess that is mildly surprising, but only mildly so.